- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 16–ounce can refried beans
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil (I use avocado oil or olive oil; see my post about the healthiest cooking oils)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 of a 15-ounce jar of prepared salsa (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 of a 14-ounce bag of tortillas chips (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups shredded or chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 2.25–ounce can sliced black olives, drained
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Open the can of refried beans and use a spatula to spread them into an even layer on the bottom of the baking dish. Set the baking dish aside while you cook the vegetables.
- In a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the vegetables have softened.
- Turn off the heat on the stovetop and stir in the ground cumin, chili powder, and salsa.
- Use a spatula to transfer the vegetable and salsa mixture to the top of the baking dish.
- Bake the casserole for 15 minutes.
- When the casserole is done baking, remove it from the oven. Use your hands to break the tortillas chips into bite-sized pieces and spread them on top of the casserole.
- Finally, top the casserole with shredded lettuce, chopped black olives, and sliced avocado. Serve hot.
- Store any leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat before serving.
- You could also add your favorite brand of dairy-free cheese to the salsa mixture before you bake the casserole if you like.
- If you love a spicy kick you can mince up a jalapeno and sauté it with the onions and bell peppers. Or for a quicker way to add heat, just buy spicy salsa instead of mild.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Diet: Vegan
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 325
- Sugar: 3.5 g
- Sodium: 717.2 mg
- Fat: 15.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 40.1 g
- Fiber: 8.6 g
- Protein: 7.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan, dairy-free, mexican, gluten-free