You are going to love how easy it is to make this tasty Air Fryer Orange Chicken from scratch. Both kids and adults love this sweet and savory chicken dish that has a crisp exterior. This recipe has gluten-free options and is a healthy makeover of the takeout version.
- 1.25 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon arrowroot starch or cornstarch, divided
- 3 oranges, juiced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos (or tamari or soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- Sautéed cauliflower rice or cooked white rice (optional, for serving)
- Cut the chicken into 1-inch bite-sized pieces and place in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add two tablespoons of arrowroot starch or corn starch and use a spatula to coat the chicken.
- Place the chicken in the basket of your air fryer (see below for oven instructions) and cook for 7-8 minutes at 400°F.
- While the chicken is cooking, make the sauce. In a medium saucepan or pot, combine the orange juice, coconut aminos, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, maple syrup, ground ginger, and fish sauce.
- Add 1 teaspoon of arrowroot starch or corn starch and turn the heat to medium.
- Let the mixture come to a simmer for about 2 minutes, and then turn off the heat. Cover the pot with a lid.
- When the chicken has finished cooking, transfer it to the saucepan with the sauce. Stir so the chicken is coated and serve immediately.
- Store any leftovers in a tightly-sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- If you don’t have coconut aminos, you can use reduced sodium tamari (gluten-free) or soy sauce (not gluten-free).
- If you don’t have fish sauce or you don’t like it, just leave it out.
- OVEN instructions: cook the chicken on a baking sheet for about 12 minutes at 400 degrees F.
- Store any leftovers in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat before serving.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Air fryer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: healthy orange chicken, paleo orange chicken, gluten free orange chicken, healthy air fryer orange chicken