Whether you want to increase your vegetable intake or reset your system, try this delicious Cabbage Vegetable Soup. Make it easily in the Instant Pot or Stovetop. This soup is high in fiber and flavor, but low in calories and fat.
- 1 green cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 14.5–ounce can chopped tomatoes, with the juices
- 3 cups reduced sodium chicken broth (use vegetable broth for vegan and vegetarian diets)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley, for topping
- In the base of an Instant Pot, combine the cabbage, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, chopped tomatoes, and broth. See the notes for stovetop directions.
- Lock on the lid and set the time to 4 minutes at high pressure. When the cooking time is complete, let the pressure come down naturally for 5 minutes. Then, use the quick release to get rid of any remaining pressure.
- Remove the lid and stir in the lemon juice.
- Serve hot, with a topping of chopped parsley.
- STOVETOP DIRECTIONS: In a large stockpot over high heat, combine the cabbage, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, chopped tomatoes, and broth. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover the pot, and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Stir in the lemon juice and parsley and serve hot.
- You can easily double this recipe to make more servings.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. You can also freeze this soup for up to 2 months.
- The total cooking time includes approximately 10 minutes for the Instant Pot to come up to pressure. The total time also includes 5 minutes of natural pressure release.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Healthy
Keywords: cabbage soup with tomatoes, old fashioned cabbage soup, detox cabbage soup