This delicious Dairy-Free Chicken & Rice Casserole is the perfect main dish for busy weeknights. It’s full of healthy and satisfying ingredients, and topped with a rich cashew cheese sauce. This recipe is gluten-free and dairy-free.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1.25 pounds boneless, skinless chicken cutlets or thighs, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ¾ cup uncooked long-grain white rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets or cauliflower florets (or a mix of the two)
- 3/4 cup raw cashews (soaked for 15 minutes in very hot water, then drained)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch (or medium-sized) casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and chicken and sauté for 5-7 minutes. Stir occasionally while the outside of the chicken starts to cook and turn white.
- While the onion and chicken are cooking, pour in the broth into the baking dish. Add the rinsed rice and the broccoli or cauliflower florets.
- Pour the chicken and onion mixture into the baking dish. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- While the casserole is baking, make the cheese sauce. In the pitcher of a high-speed blender, combine the soaked and drained cashew nuts, sea salt, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and water. Blend on high for about 30 seconds, or until the sauce is smooth and creamy.
- After the casserole has cooked for 30 minutes, carefully remove it from the oven and take off the foil. Pour the cashew sauce over the top. Then, place the casserole back in the oven (uncovered) to cook for an additional 20 minutes.
- When the casserole is done baking, remove it from the oven and let it cool for 5-7 minutes before serving.
- Store any leftovers in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat before serving.
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Healthy
Keywords: broccoli casserole, healthy chicken casserole, chicken and rice recipe