This delicious and healthy Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole is the perfect dairy-free and gluten-free main dish for busy weeknights. Prep it ahead of time and then bake it when you’re ready to eat.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 ¾ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- ¾ cup uncooked long-grain white rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken cutlets, cut into 1-inch chunks
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the coconut milk, broth, lemon juice, thyme, salt, and pepper. Let the mixture come to a simmer before turning off the heat.
- Transfer the onion and broth mixture to the casserole dish. Add the broccoli, rice, and chicken and stir to combine.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Let the casserole cool for 5 minutes before serving.
You can prep this casserole up to 3 days in advance of baking it. Cover it with plastic wrap or a lid and store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake it.
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Healthy
Keywords: broccoli casserole, healthy chicken casserole, chicken and rice recipe