This Collard Greens Smoothie is dairy-free and vegan, and full of nourishing ingredients. Cocoa powder adds a chocolate taste, and covers any flavor from the greens.
- 1 large bunch of collard greens
- 2 cups carrot juice
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 1 cup frozen sweet cherries
- 1/2 cup frozen mango chunks
- 1/4 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1 tablespoon cocoa or cacao powder
- Prep the collard greens by washing each leaf and removing the stems from the leaves. Discard the stems and place the leaves in a steamer basket. Steam the leaves for 3 minutes. You can also steam the greens by placing them in a microwave-safe bowl, adding a tablespoon of water, covering with plastic wrap, and microwaving for 45 seconds.
- In the base of a high-speed blender, pour in the carrot juice and hemp seeds.
- Add the cherries, mango chunks, pineapple, steamed collard greens, and cocoa or cacao powder.
- Put the lid on tightly and process for 60-75 seconds. The smoothie should be well combined and creamy. Stop and scrape down the sides, if necessary, to make sure the smoothie gets completely blended with no chunks.
- Pour into two glasses and serve immediately.
- It is not necessary to steam the collard greens, but doing so will help reduce the oxalate content and make them more easily digestible. Steaming also helps reduce any bitterness of the flavor.
- You can add your choice of unsweetened protein powder to the smoothie to help add more protein, if you wish.
- You can store any leftovers in a covered container for up to 48 hours in the refrigerator.
- Category: Smoothie
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Healthy
Keywords: how to make a smoothie with collard greens, glowing greens smoothie, superfood smoothie