- Nonstick cooking spray
- 6 cups gluten-free and dairy-free cornbread, crumbled (ensure it’s a day old or very well dried; see instructions)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (use vegan butter for dairy-free and vegan diets)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green apple, cored and chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (use vegetable broth for vegan diets)
- 2 large eggs (or a flaxseed egg substitute for a vegan version: mix 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed with 6 tablespoons of water, let sit until thickened)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly spray a large baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside. I used an 8-inch by 11-inch casserole dish.
- If your gluten-free cornbread is fresh, you’ll need to dry it out a bit so the stuffing doesn’t get mushy. Spread the crumbled cornbread on a baking sheet and bake for about 10-15 minutes in the preheated oven, checking to avoid burning. It should be very dry but not toasted. If your cornbread is more than a day old, you probably won’t need to dry it.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat on the stovetop. Add the onions and celery, and cook until they begin to soften, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and apple and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Turn off the heat and set the skillet aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the dried cornbread, sautéed vegetables, sage, and thyme. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the broth and eggs (or flaxseed mixture).
- Pour the liquid mixture over the cornbread mixture and stir until well combined. Let it sit for a few minutes so the cornbread soaks up the liquid.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish, spreading it out evenly.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes.
- After this time, remove the foil and continue baking for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the stuffing from the oven and allow it to cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat before serving.
- Want to add sausage to this recipe? Sauté 1 pound of sausage with the onions and carrots. You may need to add an extra ½ cup of broth to the recipe to keep it moist.
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 50 Minutes
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Holiday
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 238
- Sugar: 2.6 g
- Sodium: 559.4 mg
- Fat: 9.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.8 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 6.5 g
- Cholesterol: 73.4 mg
Keywords: gluten-free, cornbread, stuffing, dressing, gluten-free Thanksgiving, gluten-free side dish