- 1 large head of cabbage
- Chop cabbage into wedges and remove the tough core.
- Bring a large pot of water to a simmer and have a large bowl of ice water ready.
- Carefully add chopped cabbage to the pot using tongs so you don’t splash.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until cabbage has a bright color. Do not overcook!
- Carefully remove cabbage with tongs or drain in a colander and add to ice water to shock and stop cooking.
- Dry well and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet to freeze for at least 6-12 hours.
- Once frozen, add to labeled freezer zip-top bags.
- Use from frozen in your favorite soups and other recipes!
- For most recipes using cabbage, you don’t need to defrost the cabbage first. Place the frozen cabbage wedges directly into a hot pot of soup or into whatever recipe you are making. Cook the cabbage a few minutes longer than you would if it were raw to ensure that it gets warmed through.
- You can use either red or green cabbage for this recipe.
- Try to use your frozen cabbage within 3-4 months. If frozen longer, it may develop freezer burn.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Freezer
- Cuisine: Healthy
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: freezing cabbage, how to freeze green cabbage