- 1 pound fresh beets (about 3-4 medium beets)
- To cook your raw beets before freezing: bring a medium saucepan filled with water to boil over medium heat.
- If your beets came with the greens attached, chop the leaves off around half an inch from the top of each beet.
- Scrub the beets thoroughly, ensuring that you rinse off any sand or dirt.
- Carefully add the beets to the boiling water. Boil the beets between 30-35 minutes, or until they are fork tender. You can also make Instant Pot Beets. See the notes below for instructions on how to blanch beets before freezing, as opposed to cooking them through.
- Drain the beets in a colander and transfer them to an ice bath.
- Once cooled, peel the skins off and cut the top and roots off.
- Slice, dice, or shred the beets.
- Spread the beet pieces on a baking tray and freeze for 4 hours.
- Transfer the frozen beets to freezer bags and remove as much air as possible. Place the bags into your freezer for up to several months.
- To blanch your beets before freezing (as opposed to cooking them through): Peel the beets. Cut them into slices or cubes, or shred them for best results. Blanch the beets in boiling water for 3 to 5 minutes and then immediately transfer them to a bowl of ice water. Drain the beet pieces and dry them by patting excess water off with paper towels and then leaving them to dry for around 10 minutes. Spread the beet pieces on a baking tray and flash freeze for 4 hours.
- You don’t have to defrost beets before you use them.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Freezing Time: 4 hours
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Freezer
- Cuisine: Healthy
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: how to freeze raw beets, freezing cooked beets, how to blanch beets for freezing