Here’s a step-by-step guide for how to cook a whole Instant Pot Acorn Squash and transform it into delicious acorn squash puree. Cook the squash whole and then slice it easily to make the puree.
- 1 acorn squash
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons ghee, butter, or coconut oil (for vegan or dairy-free diets, use vegan butter or coconut oil)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Place a whole, uncut acorn squash into the steamer basket of the Instant Pot with one cup of water. Lock on the lid and set the time to 10 minutes at high pressure.
- When the cooking time is up, carefully quick release the pressure. Remove the lid and use tongs to remove the squash to a bowl or cutting board.
- After the cooked squash has cooled for a few minutes, cut the squash down the middle. Do your best to scoop out the seeds. Then, use tongs to place the two halves of the squash back in the Instant Pot. Add another 1/2 cup of water to the bottom of the pot.
- Lock the lid back on the Instant Pot and set the time for 10 more minutes at high pressure. Then, when the cooking time is up, use the quick release again to get rid of the pressure. Remove the lid and transfer the cooked squash to a cutting board.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the flesh of the acorn squash. You can discard the skin, or at it to the puree. I chose to just use the flesh.
- Lastly, add the cooked acorn squash flesh to a bowl and stir in your choice of butter, ghee, or coconut oil, plus some salt, pepper, and ground cinnamon. Serve hot.
- For dairy sensitivities, use ghee or coconut oil instead of butter. For dairy allergies, use coconut oil. Vegans should also use coconut oil, coconut butter, or vegan butter.
- Store any leftovers in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat before serving.
- The whole squash is cooked in two sessions to that it’s easier to remove the squash flesh from the skin. If you prefer to consume the whole acorn squash including the skin, you can just cook the whole squash in 20 minutes at high pressure. But, please note that your squash puree won’t be a bright orange color because the green skin will essentially get melted into the center.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Instant Pot pressure cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: how to cook an acorn squash in pressure cooker, acorn squash puree