Whether it’s for a Sunday dinner, holiday, or busy weeknight, you’ve got to try this Instant Pot Whole Chicken & Vegetables recipe. This one-pot dish pairs hearty root vegetables with tender, cooked chicken. This easy recipe is gluten-free and so delicious.
- 1 cup chicken broth (or water)
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3–4 medium potatoes, quartered
- 1 small bunch of fresh herbs like rosemary, thyme, or sage
- 1 4-pound whole chicken, giblets and neck removed
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Add the broth to your 6-quart or 8-quart Instant Pot, and along with your chopped vegetables and herbs.
- Remove the chicken from any packages and discard the giblets and neck. Place the halved lemon pieces inside the chicken cavity and place the chicken on top of the vegetables inside the Instant Pot.
- Sprinkle the salt and pepper on top of the chicken.
- Lock on the lid and set the cooking time to 25 minutes at high pressure.
- When the cooking time is up, let the pressure come down naturally for about 10 minutes, and then quick-release any remaining pressure.
- Use a spatula and tongs to carefully transfer the cooked chicken to a serving dish. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the vegetables to the tray with the chicken.
- Let the chicken rest for about 5-10 minutes before serving. Slice the chicken before serving hot.
- You don’t need to use the trivet since the chicken will sit right on top of the vegetables.
- If you want browned or crispy skin on your chicken, then you can place it under your oven’s broiler for a few minutes after you remove it from the Instant Pot.
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Instant Pot pressure cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: instant pot whole chicken, one-pot chicken and potatoes, pressure cooker chicken