- 3 cups prepared mashed potatoes, chilled
- 1/2 cup flour plus 2 tablespoons flour, divided (I used the Bob’s 1-to-1 gluten-free baking flour)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, for cooking the fritters
- Sour cream (optional, for dipping)
- In a large bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, ½ cup of the flour, egg, chives, and sea salt.
- Use a spatula to mix the ingredients together to make the fritter batter. Add up to 2 extra tablespoons of the flour until your fritter batter is thick enough that it will stick together.
- Then, use your hands to form 12 fritters. Pat them down so they look like small and thin burger patties. Place the formed fritters on a plate.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat up two tablespoons of the oil. Let it heat up for a few minutes over medium-high heat. Then, carefully place as many fritters as you can in the pan without them overlapping. You will probably need to cook them in two batches.
- Let the fritters cook for about 5 minutes. Then, use a spatula to flip them over to cook for another 5 minutes.
- The fritters should be golden brown on both sides when they are done.
- Transfer the cooked fritters to a serving plate lined with paper towels and cook the second batch in the remaining two tablespoons of oil.
- Serve the fritters hot with optional sour cream (for dipping).
- If your prepared mashed potatoes are well seasoned, then you likely will not need to add any extra salt to the fritters. If your prepared mashed potatoes on are the bland side or are unseasoned, add 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt to the fritter mixture before frying.
- If you don’t have fresh chives, you can substitute chopped green onions (scallions) instead.
- Be sure that your fritter patties are fairly thin to ensure they get warmed through.
- The fritters are best served right after making. So, fry only enough to serve. Store any unused fritter mixture covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- If you are on a dairy-free diet, replace the optional sour cream with a dairy-free option.
- You can also serve the fritters with ketchup or your favorite dipping sauce.
- AIR FRYER INSTRUCTIONS: Bake them for 10 minutes at 380 degrees F, flipping once during the cooking process.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
Keywords: mashed potato fritters, mashed potato pancakes, mashed potato leftover recipe