- 6 Russet potatoes, washed, peeled, and diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 8–ounce uncured ham steak, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (for gluten-free, use a gluten-free baking flour)
- 1 cup whole milk or full-fat coconut milk for dairy-free diets
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions (optional, for topping)
- In the base of a slow cooker, add the potatoes, onion, carrots, celery, ham, chicken broth, and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours or high for 4 hours.
- When the cook time is up, remove the lid and use a potato masher to mash the potatoes with the vegetables and ham.
- Then, stir in the flour and milk and put the lid back on. Cook for an additional 15 minutes to allow the soup to thicken.
- Remove the lid and serve hot.
- You can leave the potatoes unpeeled if you wish.
- You can add salt to season, but I find that there is enough of a salty flavor from the ham pieces.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Reheat before serving. You can also freeze the leftovers up to 2 months.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 hours 15 minutes
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Slow cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
Keywords: creamy slow cooker ham and potato soup, crockpot ham and potato soup