- 1 teaspoon avocado or olive oil
- 1–2 pound Tri Tip Roast (or your favorite cut of meat)
- 1 pound fingerling or white potatoes, washed and quartered
- 6 celery stalks, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 5 medium carrots, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 white or red onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium beef or chicken broth
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon steak seasoning or Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- chopped scallions, optional, for serving
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the roast and use tongs to brown for a few minutes on each side.
- In the meantime, add the potatoes, celery, carrots, onion, and broth to the base of a large slow-cooker (at least 6 quarts).
- Use the tongs to move the roast from the skillet to the slow-cooker.
- Add the rosemary sprigs to the slow-cooker, along with the steak seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Place the lid on the slow-cooker and set the temperature to low. Cook for 7-9 hours, or until the meat is tender and easily shreds.
- When you’re ready to serve, use a fork and tongs to shred the meat in the pot. Stir the meat and vegetables together and serve hot. Top with chopped scallions, if desired.
- Store any leftovers in a tightly-sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Or, place any leftovers in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 months.
- If you can’t find a tri tip roast at a grocery store you should be able to buy one from a local butcher or you can substitute a rump roast or a beef round roast.
- You can use any leftover shredded meat on top of rice, in tacos or burrito bowls, and for sandwiches.
- Short on time? Try my recipe for Instant Pot Tri Tip instead!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 9 hours
- Category: Main dish
- Method: slow cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 310
- Sugar: 4.3 g
- Sodium: 367.8 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 24.4 g
- Fiber: 4.8 g
- Protein: 24.7 g
- Cholesterol: 83 mg
Keywords: how to cook a pot roast in the crockpot, slow cooker pot roast, paleo roast