This flavorful Peanut Butter Soup can be made in an Instant Pot or on the stovetop. It’s full of nourishing ingredients with a slightly sweet peanut butter flavor. Vegan-friendly, gluten-free, and dairy-free.
- 3 cups peeled and chopped sweet potatoes (from about 3 medium sweet potatoes)
- 1 zucchini squash, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 13.5-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1 13-5 ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup natural peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup or date syrup
- Fresh lime juice, if desired
- In the base of a 6-quart or 8-quart Instant Pot, combine the sweet potatoes, zucchini, onion, chopped tomatoes, garbanzo beans, vegetable broth, ginger, thyme, turmeric, and salt.
- Lock on the lid and set the cooking time to 10 minutes at high pressure.
- Once the cooking time is complete, let the pressure come down naturally for 10 minutes. Then, use the quick release to get rid of any remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove the lid and use a hand immersion blender to blend the ingredients until you get a fairly smooth texture.
- Stir in the peanut butter, coconut aminos, and maple syrup.
- Serve hot, with a squeeze of fresh lime juice, if desired.
Store any leftovers in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, or in the freeze for up to 2 months. Reheat before serving.
I like to serve this soup with cooked white rice. For extra protein, stir in cooked shredded chicken (not vegan) or chopped tofu before serving.
STOVETOP INSTRUCTIONS: Combine the sweet potatoes, zucchini, onion, chopped tomatoes, garbanzo beans, vegetable broth, ginger, thyme, turmeric, and salt in a large pot. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce the heat, and let the pot simmer for 30 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender. Use a hand immersion blender to blend the ingredients until you get a fairly smooth texture. Stir in the peanut butter, coconut aminos, and maple syrup. Serve hot.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop or pressure cooker
- Cuisine: African
Keywords: vegan peanut butter soup west african, peanut butter garbanzo soup, vegetable peanut butter soup