- 1/3 cup coconut sugar (or white sugar)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch (see notes if you prefer to use arrowroot starch)
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or ground cinnamon)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or your favorite plant-based milk
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dairy-free whipped topping (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch or arrowroot starch, and pumpkin pie spice. Whisk to combine.
- Then, turn the heat to medium-high, and whisk in the milk, pumpkin puree, and vanilla extract.
- Keep whisking the mixture until it starts to simmer. Turn the heat down to medium, cover the pot, and let it simmer for 3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir the mixture one more time. Then, divide the pudding between your serving glasses.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or until the pudding has set.
- Serve the pudding chilled, or at room temperature, with a dollop of dairy-free whipped cream, if desired.
- Store any leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- The nutrition data for this recipe is an estimate and does not include any whipped cream topping.
- If you prefer to use arrowroot starch instead of cornstarch, then reduce the amount to 2 tablespoons.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: vegan pumpkin custard, vegan pumpkin dessert