- 1 cup long-grain white rice, rinsed well and drained
- 1.25 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup prepared salsa
- 1 5–ounce can green chiles
- 1 15–ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 avocado, sliced (for topping)
- In the base of a 5-quart or larger Crockpot, combine the rice, chicken, onion, chicken broth, salsa, green chiles, and black beans. Stir gently to combine.
- Place the lid on the pot and set the temperature to high. Cook for 4 hours on high or until the rice is tender.
- Remove the lid and stir in the lime juice. Use a ladle to pour the dish into individual bowls. Top each serving with a couple of avocado slices.
- Store any leftovers in a tightly-sealed container for up to 4 days.
- You can freeze any leftovers in a tightly-sealed container for up to 2 months.
- You can substitute chicken thighs for the chicken breasts, if you prefer.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Crockpot slow cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Diet: Gluten Free
Keywords: rice in the slow cooker, crockpot chicken dinner, chicken and rice in crockpot