Crockpot Mexican Chicken and Rice (Gluten-Free)
This healthy and satisfying Crockpot Mexican Chicken & Rice recipe is the perfect make-ahead dish for busy weeknights. Set it in the early afternoon and then enjoy a flavorful one-pot meal.
- Author: Carrie Forrest, MPH in Nutrition
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Crockpot slow cooker
- Cuisine: Gluten-free, Mexican
- 1 cup long-grain white rice, rinsed well and drained
- 1.25 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup prepared salsa
- 1 5-ounce can green chiles
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 avocado, sliced (for topping)
- In the base of a 5-quart or larger Crockpot, combine the rice, chicken, onion, chicken broth, salsa, green chiles, and black beans. Stir gently to combine.
- Place the lid on the pot and set the temperature to high. Cook for 4-6 hours or until the rice is tender.
- Remove the lid and stir in the lemon juice. Use a ladle to pour the dish into individual bowls. Top each serving with a couple of avocado slices.
- Store any leftovers in a tightly-sealed container for up to 4 days.
You can freeze any leftovers in a tightly-sealed container for up to 2 months.
You can substitute chicken thighs for the chicken breasts, if you prefer.
Keywords: rice in the slow cooker, crockpot chicken dinner, chicken and rice in crockpot