This Easy Vegan Coconut Lentil Curry is one of my favorite easy, weeknight meals. Serve it with your favorite flatbread for a hearty and comforting, healthy meal.
- 1 cup brown or green lentils
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 3 cups reduced sodium vegetable broth
- 1 15-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1 13.5-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 lime, juiced
- Place the lentils in a fine-mesh sieve. Pick through the lentils to make sure there aren’t any tiny rocks. Then, rinse the lentils in cool water. Set aside to drain.
- Next, in a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the lentils, curry powder, broth, and chopped tomatoes to the pot and turn the heat to high. Bring the mixture to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot with a lid, and let it simmer for 35 minutes. The lentils should absorb most of the moisture.
- Once the cooking time is complete, remove the lid and stir in the coconut milk and lime juice. Let the curry come back to a simmer and then turn off the heat and serve immediately.
You can freeze any leftovers in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Defrost in the refrigerator and re-heat the curry on the stovetop or in the microwave.