This Easy Vegan Coconut Lentil Curry is one of my favorite easy, weeknight meals. This is a one-pot meal using pantry ingredients.
- 1 cup brown or green lentils
- 1 tablespoon olive oil*
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder**
- 3 cups reduced sodium vegetable broth
- 1 15-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1 13.5-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 lime, juiced (optional, for serving)
- Place the lentils in a fine-mesh sieve. Pick through the lentils to make sure there aren’t any tiny rocks. Then, rinse the lentils in cool water. Set aside to drain.
- Next, in a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the lentils, curry powder, broth, and chopped tomatoes to the pot and turn the heat to high. Bring the mixture to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot with a lid, and let it simmer for 35 minutes. The lentils should absorb most of the moisture.
- Once the cooking time is complete, remove the lid and stir in the coconut milk and lime juice (optional). Let the curry come back to a simmer and then turn off the heat and serve immediately.
- You can freeze any leftovers in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- Defrost in the refrigerator and re-heat the curry on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- *Leave out the oil if you are on an oil-free diet.
- **If you don’t have curry powder, you can use 1/4 teaspoon each of ground turmeric, coriander, and ground cumin instead.
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: lentil curry with coconut milk, vegan curry, lentil curry