This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This Easy Vegan Coconut Lentil Indian Curry is one of my favorite easy, weeknight meals. Serve it with your favorite side dish for a hearty and comforting, healthy meal.
Why is this Vegan Curry So Easy?
- Lentils don’t have to be soaked and are quick-cooking.
- This dish cooks in less than 40 minutes.
- Use canned tomatoes and the only vegetables you need to prepare are the onions and garlic. (You could use frozen or pre-chopped onions from the grocery store. We won’t tell!)
How to Make Indian Curry
- Check the lentils for rocks and then rinse them in a fine-mesh sieve.
- Chop the onion and garlic and then saute in a tablespoon of oil.
- Add the lentils, tomatoes, broth and curry to the soup pot and bring everything to a simmer.
- The lentils should absorb most of the liquid while cooking.
- After 35 minutes add the coconut milk and lime juice. Return to a simmer for a few minutes.
- Serve with your favorite flatbread or with Indian Yellow Rice.
Is this Curry Recipe Healthy?
- This recipe is a healthy, nourishing meal. Lentils are an amazing food. They are full of plant-based protein and are generally easy to digest.
- This dish has a nice balance of healthy fat, protein, and carbs, making it a perfect meal.
- Most traditional Indian curries use cream, but this recipe uses full-fat coconut milk to make it dairy-free.
Top Tips for Making Coconut Curry
- Use full-fat coconut milk for the richest flavor.
- Check the lentils for rocks before rinsing.
- You can make this dish ahead of time and serve it for several days. The leftovers are so delicious and can be easily re-heated in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Can I use red lentils to make curry?
Ideally, you would use brown or green lentils. They hold their shape best when cooking. But, you can use red lentils, but the texture of the curry will be a bit mushier.
What if I don’t have curry powder?
You can use a blend of ground turmeric, coriander, and ground cumin instead.
Can I use reduced-fat coconut milk instead of full-fat coconut milk?
Yes, but the recipe won’t be as flavorful.
Other Plant-Based Recipes You Might Like
Here is the printable Indian Curry recipe:Print
This Easy Vegan Coconut Lentil Curry is one of my favorite easy, weeknight meals. Serve it with your favorite flatbread for a hearty and comforting, healthy meal.
- 1 cup brown or green lentils
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 3 cups reduced sodium vegetable broth
- 1 15-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1 13.5-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 lime, juiced
- Place the lentils in a fine-mesh sieve. Pick through the lentils to make sure there aren’t any tiny rocks. Then, rinse the lentils in cool water. Set aside to drain.
- Next, in a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the lentils, curry powder, broth, and chopped tomatoes to the pot and turn the heat to high. Bring the mixture to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot with a lid, and let it simmer for 35 minutes. The lentils should absorb most of the moisture.
- Once the cooking time is complete, remove the lid and stir in the coconut milk and lime juice. Let the curry come back to a simmer and then turn off the heat and serve immediately.
You can freeze any leftovers in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Defrost in the refrigerator and re-heat the curry on the stovetop or in the microwave.