For a quick and delicious weeknight dinner, try this Gluten-Free Chicken Teriyaki recipe using a simple homemade sauce that is flavorful and sweet. This recipe is ready and on the table in 30 minutes.
- 2/3 cup reduced sodium tamari (use coconut aminos for soy-free diets)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar (use coconut sugar for a lower glycemic option)
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil (I used avocado oil)
- 1.25 pounds boneless, skinless chicken cutlets or thighs, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch (use arrowroot starch for grain-free or paleo diets)
- ¼ cup warm water
- In a medium bowl, combine the tamari or coconut aminos, rice vinegar, brown sugar, ground ginger, and garlic. Set the sauce aside while you start to cook the chicken.
- In a medium nonstick skillet, heat the cooking oil over medium heat.
- Add the chicken and let it start to cook on all sides, stirring occasionally.
- After about 7 minutes of cook time for the chicken, pour the sauce over the chicken.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch or arrowroot starch with the water. Stir to combine and then pour into the skillet.
- Continue to stir the sauce with the chicken and cook for another 7 minutes until the starch has dissolved and the sauce has started to thicken.
- Turn off the heat on the stove and serve the chicken hot, with your choice of steamed white rice, cauliflower rice, brown rice, or steamed vegetables.
- Store any leftovers in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat before serving.
- This recipe is perfect with steamed rice and vegetables such as my Air Fryer Green Beans. You can always buy the steam-in-bag rice pouches from the grocery store for a super quick side dish.
- Category: Main dishes
- Method: Stoveop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: teriyaki chicken made gluten-free