- 1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken cutlets, cut into large chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup red wine (leave out and replace with extra chicken broth for Whole30)
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (14-ounce) can crushed or chopped tomatoes, with the juices
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional, for topping)
- Select Sauté on your Instant Pot and add the oil to the inner pot. Once hot, add the chicken, garlic, onion, oregano, salt, and pepper, and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Press Cancel and pour the wine into the pot. Using a wooden spoon, scrape up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pot. Add the broth, bell peppers, mushrooms, crushed tomatoes, and tomato paste, and stir to combine.
- Lock the lid into place. Select Pressure Cook or Manual, and adjust the pressure to high for 8 minutes. Make sure the valve is in the sealed position.
- After the cooking time is complete, naturally release the pressure for 5 minutes, then quick release any remaining pressure.
- Unlock and remove the lid. Stir in the vinegar.
- Serve immediately, over your choice of noodles, rice, or potatoes. Top with chopped parsley, if desired.
- STOVETOP DIRECTIONS: Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the oil and let it heat up. Add the chicken, garlic, onion, oregano, salt, and pepper, and sauté for 5 minutes. Pour in the wine and use a spoon to deglaze the pan. Add the broth, bell peppers, mushrooms, crushed tomatoes, and tomato paste, and stir to combine. Cover the pot and cook for 12-15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Serve immediately.
- For Whole30, leave out the wine and use all chicken broth instead.
- Don’t skip sautéing the chicken as this really helps to build flavor.
- Substitute the dried oregano with Italian seasoning, if you prefer.
- You can use chicken breasts or boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days. Reheat before serving.
- For low-carb, serve the cooked chicken with veggie noodles, cauliflower rice, or cauliflower mash.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Instant Pot or Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 262
- Sugar: 6.9 g
- Sodium: 797.6 mg
- Fat: 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 12.6 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 34.6 g
- Cholesterol: 103.4 mg
Keywords: low carb chicken dinner, italian dinner with zucchini noodles, instant pot chicken cacciatore