When you need an easy side dish, try this recipe for No Drain Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes. This is a one-pot recipe that is perfect for holidays or just a casual dinner. This healthier version of a classic recipe has dairy-free and vegan options.
- 2 pounds white, red, or gold potatoes (about 8-12 medium sized potatoes)
- 1 cup broth or water
- 3 tablespoons ghee*, butter, or vegan butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- Scrub the potatoes and cut them in half.
- Add the potatoes to the pot, along with the water or broth.
- Lock on the lid and push the button for pressure cooking. Set the time to 8 minutes.
- Once the cooking time is complete, let the pressure come down naturally for about 5 minutes. Then, use the quick release to get rid of any remaining pressure.
- Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes.
- Add the ghee, butter, or vegan butter, and stir until combined.
- Pour in the almond milk and give the potatoes one final stir.
- Serve hot and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- *Ghee is made by removing the milk solids from butter. It is usually safe for dairy-free diets. If you prefer, you can use vegan butter that is not made from milk. Vegan butter is safe for dairy allergies.
- Store any leftovers in a tightly-sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Or, place any leftovers in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 2 months.
- If you aren’t on a vegan or dairy-free diet, you can use regular milk in this recipe.
- The total cooking time includes 10 minutes for the Instant Pot to come up to pressure.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan mashed potatoes, dairy free instant pot mashed potatoes, no draining mashed potatoes