This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
When you need an easy side dish, you should try this recipe for No Drain Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes. It’s a one-pot dish that is so creamy and delicious. This recipe is gluten-free, with vegan and dairy-free options.
Easy Mashed Potatoes
While mashed potatoes is a traditional holiday and wintertime dish, I actually make it all year round. Potatoes are abundant and budget-friendly, and this recipe is just so easy peasy.
- This is a one-pot healthy side dish that requires hardly any effort. The potatoes cook completely in the Instant Pot, so mashing the potatoes is super easy.
- Adapt this recipe to your dietary needs. Don’t have almond milk? You can use regular milk instead. Don’t want to use any dairy? Substitute vegan butter for the ghee.
- Easily make a double batch of this recipe for holidays or gatherings. Or, make a double batch for your family today, and then freeze the leftovers for the future. Cooked mashed potatoes keep in the freezer for up to 2 months.
The first step for this recipe is to gather up your potatoes. You can use white potatoes, red potatoes, or gold potatoes. You can even mix the types of potatoes you use. You will need about two pounds, or about 8-12 medium sized potatoes.
Scrub the potatoes and cut them in half. Add them to the base of your 6-quart or 8-quart Instant Pot. You don’t need the trivet for this recipe.
Add one cup of water or broth. Lock on the lid and push the button for pressure cooking. Set the time to 8 minutes.
Once the cooking time is complete, use the natural-release or quick-release to unlock the lid. Use a potato masher to carefully mash the potatoes. Add the ghee or butter and stir until combined. Pour in the almond milk and give the potatoes one final stir.
How long do you cook mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot?
I recommend 8 minutes for medium-sized potatoes cut in half.
What kind of potatoes can I use for mashed potatoes?
You can use whatever you like! I have made mashed potatoes with white, red, gold, and even sweet potatoes! (See my recipe for Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes).
Do I need to drain the liquid after cooking the potatoes?
I find that you don’t! The liquid gets absorbed into the potatoes to help make them mashed. The only way that you would need to drain off the cooking liquid is if you cut this recipe in half.
Can I freeze cooked mashed potatoes?
Yes, absolutely! I usually end up freezing half of the batch for later.
Other Healthy Instant Pot Side Dishes
- Instant Pot Artichokes
- Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
- Instant Pot Beets
- Instant Pot Cauliflower Mash (low-carb)
- Instant Pot Cabbage
- Instant Pot Carrots
- Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot Whole Red Potatoes
Here’s the printable recipe:Print
When you need an easy side dish, you should try this recipe for Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes. It’s a one-pot dish with no draining.
- 2 pounds white, red, or gold potatoes (about 8–12 medium sized potatoes)
- 1 cup broth or water
- 3 tablespoons ghee*, butter, or vegan butter
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- Scrub the potatoes and cut them in half.
- Add the potatoes to the pot, along with the water or broth.
- Lock on the lid and push the button for pressure cooking. Set the time to 8 minutes.
- Once the cooking time is complete, use the natural-release or quick-release to unlock the lid.
- Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes.
- Add the ghee, butter, or vegan butter, and stir until combined.
- Pour in the almond milk and give the potatoes one final stir.
- Serve hot and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
*ghee is made by removing the milk solids from butter. It is usually safe for dairy-free diets. If you prefer, you can use vegan butter that is not made from milk. Vegan butter is safe for dairy allergies.
Store any leftovers in a tightly-sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Or, place any leftovers in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 2 months.