Last Updated on
When you need an easy side dish, you should try this recipe for Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes. It’s a one-pot dish that is dairy-free, paleo, and Whole30.
Instant Pot Thanksgiving Challenge
So did you see my post about trying to make my entire Thanksgiving dinner in the Instant Pot this year? Am I crazy? Will you join me on this adventure? I recommend the 6-quart Instant Pot if you don’t have one already. And, if you’re tired of reading Instant Pot recipes here on my blog, rest assured that I’ll be offering more non-Instant Pot recipes soon.
Instant Pot Thanksgiving Recipes
Here are the recipes I’ve made so far that you might like for your Thanksgiving or holiday table.
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash
- Instant Pot Candied Yams
- Instant Pot Cooked Cabbage (not traditional Thanksgiving, but makes for an easy veggie side dish)
- Instant Pot Cranberry Relish
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Pie Custard
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Spice Cake
- Instant Pot Stuffing
- Instant Pot Sweet Potato Mash
- Instant Pot Turkey Breast with Gravy
- Instant Pot Whole Red Potatoes
The Easiest Way to Make Mashed Potatoes
I gotta be honest, it’s been years since I’ve made mashed potatoes on the stovetop. The one or two times I’ve tried it, I just hated standing over a hot stove and stirring until my arm ached. The Instant Pot is a game-changer in that regard!
I love how this recipe is as easy as dumping the potatoes in the pot, mashing them with a few swipes of the masher, and then adding the ghee or butter (use vegan butter to make this recipe 100% dairy-free), and almond milk. Easy, creamy, and delicious mashed potatoes have never been easier, I promise!
Steps to Making Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
As I mentioned, this Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes recipe could not be easier.
- Scrub the potatoes and cut them in half.
- Add the potatoes to the pot, along with the water. Lock on the lid and push the button for pressure cooking. Set the time to 12 minutes.
- Once the cooking time is complete, use the natural-release or quick-release to unlock the lid. Use a potato masher to carefully mash the potatoes.
- Add the ghee or butter and stir until combined. Pour in the almond milk and give the potatoes one final stir.
- Serve hot.
I love this recipe so much that I’m wondering why mashed potatoes shouldn’t be an all-year round recipe?
Questions About Making Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
How long do you cook mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot? I recommend 12 minutes for medium-sized potatoes cut in half.
What kind of potatoes can I use for mashed potatoes? You can use whatever you like! I have made mashed potatoes with white, red, gold, and even sweet potatoes! (See my recipe for Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes).
Do I need to drain the liquid after cooking the potatoes? I find that you don’t! The liquid gets absorbed into the potatoes to help make them mashed. You only need one cup of liquid per batch.
Here’s a how-to video for how to make these Easy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes (click through on the link if you don’t see the video):
Here’s the printable recipe for my easy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes made dairy-free:Print
When you need an easy side dish, you should try this recipe for Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes. It’s a one-pot dish with no draining.
- 2 pounds white, red, or gold potatoes
- 1 cup broth or water
- 3 tablespoons ghee*, butter, or vegan butter
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Scrub the potatoes and cut them in half.
- Add the potatoes to the pot, along with the water.
- Lock on the lid and push the button for pressure cooking. Set the time to 12 minutes.
- Once the cooking time is complete, use the natural-release or quick-release to unlock the lid.
- Use a potato masher to carefully mash the potatoes.
- Add the ghee and stir until combined.
- Pour in the almond milk and give the potatoes one final stir.
- Serve hot and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
*ghee is made by removing the milk solids from butter. It is usually safe for dairy-free diets. If you prefer, you can use vegan butter that is not made from milk. Vegan butter is safe for dairy allergies.
Be sure to pin this image to save this Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes recipe to your favorite Pinterest board!
Don’t miss a recipe! Join my weekly newsletter list to get all the latest news and recipe links delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up now and unsubscribe at any time. I will never sell your name or spam you, I promise!