When you’re looking for an easy and flavorful dish made using mostly pantry ingredients, then check out this Instant Pot Peanut Butter Chicken & Rice.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, cored and sliced
- 1.25 pounds chicken thighs or chicken cutlets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup long-grain white rice, rinsed
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup natural peanut butter (substitute almond butter for peanut allergies)
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup coconut aminos
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- Hit the Sauté button on your 6-quart or 8-quart Instant Pot and add the oil to the pot.
- Let the oil heat up for a few minutes before adding the onion and red bell pepper. Stir and let them cook for a few minutes before adding the chicken. Stir to combine.
- Turn off the Sauté button and add the rinsed rice and broth. Stir and then lock on the lid. Set the time to 7 minutes on high pressure.
- While the chicken and rice is cooking, make the peanut butter sauce. In a medium bowl, combine the peanut butter, rice vinegar, coconut aminos, ground ginger, and sesame oil. Use a whisk to stir the ingredients until smooth.
- When the cooking time on the Instant Pot is complete, let the pressure come down naturally for 5 minutes. Then, use the quick release to get rid of any remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove the lid and then stir in the peanut butter sauce. Serve hot.
Store any leftovers in a tightly-sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Or, place any leftovers in a tightly-sealed container in the freezer for up to 2 months. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Instant Pot pressure cooker
- Cuisine: Healthy
Keywords: chicken and rice, peanut butter chicken, instant pot chicken thighs