This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Last Updated on
When you’re looking for an easy and flavorful dish that you can make using mostly pantry ingredients, then look no further than this Instant Pot Peanut Butter Chicken and Rice recipe. Gluten-free and nourishing.
In these trying times, most of us seem to be digging into our pantries to help with meal planning. This is my 8th day of staying at home and not doing any shopping, so I am relying on whatever is left in my refrigerator and pantry until it feels safe to go out again.
Most of us have peanut butter, rice, and some basic items like chicken and onions available, and that’s all you really need to make this delicious one-pot chicken and rice dish.
The peanut butter sauce adds a wonderful richness and nutty flavor that even kids will eat.
The steps to make this 30-minute easy chicken dinner are really very easy, especially since you can sauté the veggies right in the Instant Pot.
Sauté the onion and sliced bell peppers in the Instant Pot. Then, add the chicken, broth, and rice. Set the time to 7 minutes cooking time at high pressure.
Make the peanut butter sauce while the chicken and rice are cooking. Whisk all the sauce ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.
Remove the lid from the pressure cooker and stir in the sauce. Serve hot and enjoy!
What kind of Instant Pot do you recommend?
I love the 6-quart Duo since it’s so easy to use.
Can I use brown rice for this recipe?
No, because the chicken will get overcooked. This recipe is best using a long-grain white rice like basmati or jasmine.
Can I make this recipe vegan?
Yes, I would omit the chicken and stir in one pound of cubed extra-firm tofu after the rice is cooking.
What if I don’t have red bell peppers?
Use a can of chopped tomatoes instead. Or, just leave them out.
What if I can’t eat peanut butter?
Use almond butter or sunflower seed butter instead.
Other Healthy Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
- Instant Pot Chicken & Sweet Potato dinner (Whole30, paleo)
- Instant Pot Chicken Soup with Rice
- Instant Pot Coconut Chicken (keto, paleo, Whole30)
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup (gluten-free)
Or, check out my round-up of Easy Instant Pot Chicken Recipes!
Here is the printable recipe:Print
When you’re looking for an easy and flavorful dish made using mostly pantry ingredients, then check out this Instant Pot Peanut Butter Chicken & Rice.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, cored and sliced
- 1.25 pounds chicken thighs or chicken cutlets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup long-grain white rice, rinsed
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup natural peanut butter (substitute almond butter for peanut allergies)
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup coconut aminos
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- Hit the Sauté button on your 6-quart or 8-quart Instant Pot and add the oil to the pot.
- Let the oil heat up for a few minutes before adding the onion and red bell pepper. Stir and let them cook for a few minutes before adding the chicken. Stir to combine.
- Turn off the Sauté button and add the rinsed rice and broth. Stir and then lock on the lid. Set the time to 7 minutes on high pressure.
- While the chicken and rice is cooking, make the peanut butter sauce. In a medium bowl, combine the peanut butter, rice vinegar, coconut aminos, ground ginger, and sesame oil. Use a whisk to stir the ingredients until smooth.
- When the cooking time on the Instant Pot is complete, let the pressure come down naturally for 5 minutes. Then, use the quick release to get rid of any remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove the lid and then stir in the peanut butter sauce. Serve hot.
Store any leftovers in a tightly-sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Or, place any leftovers in a tightly-sealed container in the freezer for up to 2 months. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.