If you need a quick and easy side dish that is ready in just about 20 minutes, try this Instant Pot Mexican Rice with green chiles and tomato paste. It’s flavorful without being too spicy. This recipe is vegetarian and gluten-free.
- 2 cups white rice, rinsed well in a fine-mesh colander
- 1 3/4 cups reduced sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1 4–ounce can green chiles, with the liquid
- Chopped fresh cilantro (optional, for topping)
- In the base of a 6-quart or 8-quart Instant Pot, pour in the rinsed rice and vegetable broth.
- Add the tomato paste and green chiles and stir gently to combine.
- Lock on the lid and set the time to 6 minutes.
- When the cooking time is complete, let the pressure come down naturally for about 10 minutes.
- Then, use the quick release to get rid of any remaining pressure. Carefully remove the lid and use a fork to fluff the rice.
- Sprinkle the rice with the chopped cilantro and serve hot.
- If you want to use brown rice for this recipe, increase the cooking time to 22 minutes.
- If you want to add a chopped onion to this recipe, just add it with the rice and the other ingredients.
- If you want this recipe to be spicy, add 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder to the rice before you cook it.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 minutes
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Instant Pot pressure cooker
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: instant pot mexican rice, pressure cooker spanish rice, vegan instant pot recipes