- 1 tablespoon cooking oil (I used avocado oil)
- 1.25 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red or green bell pepper, cored and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 20–ounce can pineapple chunks (with the juice)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce, tamari, or coconut aminos (use tamari or coconut aminos for gluten-free)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (use coconut sugar for a lower glycemic version)
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions (optional, for serving)
- 2 cups cooked rice or cauliflower rice (optional, for serving)
- Press the Sauté button on your Instant Pot and pour in the cooking oil. Let the oil heat up for about two minutes.
- Then, add the chicken, onion, bell pepper, and garlic into the pot and sauté for about 3 minutes, stirring so the chicken starts to change color on all sides.
- Cancel the Sauté function and add the pineapple chunks and the pineapple juice, soy sauce (or tamari or coconut aminos), and brown sugar. Stir to combine.
- Lock on the lid, select the Pressure Cook function, and adjust to high pressure for 8 minutes. Make sure the steam valve is set in the “Sealing”.
- When the cooking time is up, let the pressure come down naturally for 10 minutes and then quick-release the remaining pressure.
- Remove the lid and press the Sauté button and add the arrowroot starch to the pot. Use a whisk to make sure the starch dissolves into the liquid. Let the liquid simmer for about 2 minutes so it can start to thicken.
- Cancel the Sauté button and stir in the rice vinegar.
- Serve hot.
- Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- The nutrition data does not include rice or cauliflower rice for serving.
- The total cooking time includes approximately 10 minutes for the Instant Pot to come up to pressure. The total time also includes 10 minutes of natural pressure release.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Healthy
- Diet: Gluten Free
Keywords: instant pot hawaiian chicken, homemade gluten-free teriyaki sauce