- 1 2-inch piece of turmeric root (see notes for using dried turmeric)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- If you are using fresh turmeric for this recipe, then peel the skin off the turmeric using a knife or the back of a spoon.
- Cut the turmeric into 3-4 pieces and place it in a high-speed blender.
- Add the lemon juice, coconut water, and black pepper.
- Turn the blender on high and blend for 30-45 seconds, or until the ingredients are smooth.
- Pour the mixture through a nut milk bag or cheesecloth, separating the juice from the pulp.
- Transfer the juice to a jar or pitcher. Consume immediately, or store up to 4 days covered in the refrigerator.
- INSTRUCTIONS FOR USING DRIED GROUND TURMERIC: If you don’t have a juicer or blender, you can make this recipe using ground turmeric. Simply combine 2 teaspoons of ground turmeric to a jar with a lid. Next, add the lemon juice, coconut water, and black pepper to the jar with the dried turmeric. Put the lid on the jar and shake it vigorously, until the ground turmeric is mixed in well with the juice.
- Ground turmeric is made from dried turmeric and can be found in the spice section of most grocery stores. Fresh turmeric can be found in the refrigerator section of most health food stores. It is usually kept near the fresh ginger.
- Coconut water is a clear beverage that is found in the refrigerated or non-refrigerated beverage section of most grocery stores. Look for unsweetened coconut water
- The black pepper is not essential to the recipe, but can help make the turmeric more bioavailable and easy for your body to absorb.
- Please note that fresh turmeric root can temporarily stain your hands or whatever surfaces it touches. To remove the stains, try soaking your blender or cutting board in a mixture of 2 parts hot water and 1 part distilled vinegar. Then, wash the items as usual and the stain should come off easier. Otherwise, the yellow stain will fade over time.
- Add fresh or dried ginger to make Ginger Turmeric Shots. You’ll need either a 1/2-inch piece of fresh ginger or up to 1/4 teaspoon of dried ginger.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Beverage
- Method: Blender or Juicer
- Cuisine: Healthy
- Diet: Vegan
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 19
- Sugar: 1.9 g
- Sodium: 63.5 mg
- Fat: 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.1 g
- Fiber: 1.1 g
- Protein: 0.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: turmeric shot recipe without juicer, turmeric shot, turmeric and lemon shot