- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (for gluten-free, use a gluten-free baking mix; I like Bob’s 1-to-1 Gluten-Free Baking Mix)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (use coconut sugar for a slightly lower glycemic version)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened plant milk (I used almond milk, but you can also use oat milk or soy milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips (use dairy-free chocolate chips for dairy-free diets)
- In an oversized mug (at least 14 ounces or larger), place the coconut oil.
- Heat the mug in the microwave for a quick 15 seconds, or until the coconut oil is soft.
- Add the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, milk, and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
- Then, stir in the chocolate chips, making sure to reserve some of the chocolate chips for the top of the cake.
- Place the mug in the microwave and heat for 90 seconds, or until the cake has risen near the top of the mug.
- Remove the mug from the microwave and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Then, either use a spoon to enjoy from the mug, or turn the mug over and transfer the cake to a plate for serving.
Bob’s gluten-free baking flourBuy Now →
- This cake is best served right after it is made. It is not designed for storing and re-heating.
- If you aren’t on a dairy-free diet, you can use regular milk in this recipe.
- This recipe is not meant to be baked in the oven, it is designed as a microwave cake.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: gluten free mug cake, easy mug cake, chocolate chip microwave cake