Vegan Chocolate Chip Mug Cake
When you want a quick and easy dessert with wholesome ingredients, try this Vegan Chocolate Chip Mug Cake. This dairy-free and egg-free recipe can also be made gluten-free. Make the cake in 90 seconds and share it with a friend…or keep it all to yourself!
Why You Need This Recipe
Mug cakes are single-serving cake recipes that you bake for 1-2 minutes in the microwave. Mug cakes aren’t meant to be baked the oven, they are designed to cook quickly under microwave heat.
- The flavors of mug cakes are endless, plus they can be adapted for keto, grain-fee, gluten-free, and vegan diets. Today’s Vegan Chocolate Chip Mug Cake recipe is both a gluten-free and dairy-free dessert that I think you are going to love.
- You very likely have everything in your kitchen to make this dessert right now! The beauty of this recipe is that you don’t need eggs or milk so you can make it even if you haven’t been grocery shopping in awhile.
- This easy recipe comes together in 10 minutes or less. It is a lifesaver when you’re having a craving for something sweet or have a sweet tooth. I know, because it’s saved me on multiple occasions, ha ha!
- See my Coconut Flour Mug Cake or Snickerdoodle Mug Cake recipes for more flavor and ingredient options.
You only need a few simple ingredients for this vegan microwave cake.
Gluten-free flour forms the base of this cake in a mug. I used Bob’s 1-to-1 Gluten-Free Baking Flour, but you can use regular all-purpose flour if you aren’t on a gluten-free diet. You can also use oat flour in this recipe.
Brown sugar or coconut sugar adds the sweetness that you’ll need for your vegan mug cake. I used coconut sugar because it tends to be lower glycemic than white cane sugar, but you can use either.
Baking powder ensures that this quick cooking single serving cake gets fluffy, even without an egg.
Almond milk or your choice of non-dairy milk (like oat milk) adds moisture, as well as from the coconut oil.
Vanilla extract helps add that classic cake flavor.
Vegan chocolate chips add even more sweetness, plus some moisture to this easy dessert.
Place the coconut oil in a large microwave-safe mug (usually a large coffee mug or a small ramekin is best).
Add the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, milk, and vanilla extract (see the recipe card at the end of this post for the exact measurements).
Stir the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients together to make the batter.
Microwave for about 1 1/2 minutes, or until the cake has risen.
Turn the cake onto a plate or leave it in the mug (your choice). Sprinkle the rest of the chocolate chips on top, and enjoy warm!
I hope you agree that this is the best mug cake out there!
This particular recipe is not meant to be baked in the oven. It is meant to be microwaved.
Yes, you can.
Yes, you can, but then the recipe won’t be vegan.
It is light and airy, similar to a real cake, but does have more moisture than a baked cake. I have been very impressed with the quality and texture of mug cakes, considering how quickly they get made.
Other Easy Vegan Dessert Recipes You Might Like
- Dairy-Free Mango Ice Cream
- Almond Flour Chickpea Cookie Dough
- Banana-Sweetened Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Vegan Peach Ice Cream
- Vegan Pumpkin Ice Cream
- Fudgy Black Bean Brownies
Or, you can check out my entire index of dessert recipes.
I hope you make this recipe! If you do, please leave a comment and a starred review below.Print
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (for gluten-free, use a gluten-free baking mix; I like Bob’s 1-to-1 Gluten-Free Baking Mix)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (use coconut sugar for a slightly lower glycemic version)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened plant milk (I used almond milk, but you can also use oat milk or soy milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips (use dairy-free chocolate chips for dairy-free diets)
- In an oversized mug (at least 14 ounces or larger), place the coconut oil.
- Heat the mug in the microwave for a quick 15 seconds, or until the coconut oil is soft.
- Add the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, milk, and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
- Then, stir in the chocolate chips, making sure to reserve some of the chocolate chips for the top of the cake.
- Place the mug in the microwave and heat for 90 seconds, or until the cake has risen near the top of the mug.
- Remove the mug from the microwave and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Then, either use a spoon to enjoy from the mug, or turn the mug over and transfer the cake to a plate for serving.
- This cake is best served right after it is made. It is not designed for storing and re-heating.
- If you aren’t on a dairy-free diet, you can use regular milk in this recipe.
- This recipe is not meant to be baked in the oven, it is designed as a microwave cake.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: gluten free mug cake, easy mug cake, chocolate chip microwave cake
Don’t forget to join the Clean Eating Kitchen newsletter. You’ll get my Clean Eating Quick Start Guide, plus links to all the latest recipes.