- 1 tablespoon cooking oil (I used olive oil)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 14.5–ounce canned chopped tomatoes, with the juices
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional, for topping)
- 1 medium lemon or lime, juiced
- Drizzle your cooking oil into the Instant Pot bowl and press the Sauté button. Let the oil heat up for about two minutes.
- Place the onion and chicken in the pot. and use a wooden spoon or spatula to stir the onion and chicken while they cook for a few minutes.
- Add the thyme, garlic powder, cinnamon, salt, and pepper.
- Cancel the sauté function and add the water, chopped sweet potatoes, and tomatoes, and stir to combine.
- Lock on the lid and set the cooking time to 8 minutes on high pressure.
- When the cooking time is up, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then quick-release the remaining pressure.
- Remove the lid and stir in the cilantro and lemon or lime juice.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator in a tightly-sealed container for up to 4 days.
- The total cook time for this Instant Pot dinner recipe includes 10 minutes of time for the pot to come up to pressure and then 10 minutes for a natural release.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- You can use chopped chicken breasts or chicken thighs in this recipe. You can use orange, purple, or white-fleshed sweet potatoes.
- Feel free to get creative with your seasonings. If you don’t have any of the ones listed, you can always use spices like oregano, rosemary, turmeric, curry powder, or Italian seasoning.
- You can easily double this recipe so you have more servings. It’s one of my favorite meal prep meals that you can serve in different ways. Serve it plain one night, with rice another right, and as a burrito bowl another night. See all of my meal prep tips for beginners or my favorite Instant Pot meal prep accessories.
- If you want to use frozen chicken breasts in this recipe, increase the cooking time to 18 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Instant Pot pressure cooker
- Cuisine: Healthy
- Diet: Gluten Free
Keywords: instant pot chicken recipe, instant pot chicken, chicken dinner, chicken and sweet potatoes