Here’s an Easy Instant Pot Chicken & Sweet Potato Dinner recipe that only takes 35 minutes. It’s a delicious chicken recipe perfect for busy weeknights. Gluten-free, grain-free, and so simple!
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken cutlets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 14.5–ounce canned chopped tomatoes, with the juices
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional, for topping)
- 1 medium lemon or lime, juiced
- Drizzle your cooking oil into the Instant Pot bowl and press the Sauté button. Let the oil heat up for about two minutes.
- Place the onion and chicken in the pot and use a wooden spoon or spatula to move it around. Add the thyme, garlic powder, cinnamon, salt, and pepper.
- Cancel the sauté function and add the water, chopped sweet potatoes, and tomatoes, and stir to combine.
- Lock on the lid and set the cooking time to 8 minutes on high pressure.
- When the cooking time is up, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then quick-release the remaining pressure. Remove the lid and stir in the cilantro and lemon or lime juice.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator in a tightly-sealed container for up to 4 days.
- The total cook time for this recipe includes 10 minutes of time for the pot to come up to pressure and then 10 minutes for a natural release.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Or, this dish will keep up to several months in the freezer in a tightly-sealed container.
- You can use chopped chicken breasts or chicken thighs in this recipe.
- You can use orange or white-fleshed sweet potatoes. Either is great!
- Feel free to get creative with your seasonings. If you don’t have any of the ones listed, you can always use spices like oregano, rosemary, turmeric, curry powder, or Italian seasoning.
- Leave out the onions if you don’t have one or don’t like onions.
- You can use frozen chicken cutlets in this recipe. Just add 10 minutes to the time (so 18 minutes cooking time at high pressure).
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Instant Pot pressure cooker
- Cuisine: Healthy
Keywords: instant pot chicken recipe, instant pot chicken, chicken dinner, healthy instant pot recipe