This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Last Updated on
Here’s a simple Instant Pot Chicken & Sweet Potato Dinner recipe that only takes 30 minutes. It’s a delicious meal perfect for busy weeknights.
Instant Pot Chicken & Sweet Potato Dinner Ingredients
This recipe was created at the end of a long week when I hardly had any food left in the house. Please tell me I’m not the only one who runs out of food sometimes?
I was so happy that even though the ingredients are just so simple, they tasted great cooked together this way. Here are the main ingredients for this Instant Pot chicken recipe:
- chopped sweet potato
- dried thyme (you can use whatever dried herbs you like)
- chicken breasts, cut into 1″ pieces
- chopped canned tomatoes
- chicken broth
- dried garlic
- sea salt
How to Cook Chicken in the Instant Pot
I am so in love with cooking chicken in the Instant Pot. I have yet to have a chicken dish that wasn’t juicy and full of flavor. I think it’s one of those foods that is ideal for pressure cooking.
For Instant Pot chicken, the general cooking times include:
- Whole, bonelesss chicken breasts – 10-12 minutes
- Cubed chicken breasts or chicken tenders – 8-10 minutes
- Boneless or bone-in chicken thighs – 8-10 minutes
- Whole chicken – 23-25 minutes (or six minutes per pound)
Since this recipe uses chicken pieces, you only need to cook it at pressure for 8 minutes.
How to Make this Chicken & Sweet Potato Dinner
You’ll never believe how easy this recipe is.
I literally just combined all the ingredients except the lemon juice and set the Instant Pot to cook for 8 minutes at high pressure. The cinnamon worked well with both the sweet potato and the chicken.
I added some ghee at the end for a little creaminess. All the flavors come together so nicely and this recipe is really one of my favorites. It freezes and re-heats well too, so it’s perfect for meal prepping.
Oh, and I forgot to mention, this recipe is paleo, Whole30, and gluten-free diet friendly!
Questions About Instant Pot Chicken
How do you cook poultry in Instant Pot?
You can cook whole chicken, chicken breasts, chicken tenders, or any other cut of chicken in the Instant Pot. The time needed at high pressure will vary depending on what type of cut you’re cooking.
Can you use frozen chicken in the Instant Pot?
Yes, you can cook frozen chicken in the Instant Pot. Just add 10 minutes to the time you would cook chicken if it was not frozen.
How long does it take to cook chicken in a pressure cooker?
Chicken pieces usually needs at least 8 minutes at high pressure to cook in a pressure cooker. If you are using a whole chicken, you will need to cook it longer.
Other Healthy & Easy Instant Pot Recipes You Might Like:
- Instant Pot Chicken & Sweet Potato dinner
- Instant Pot Chicken Soup with Rice
- Instant Pot Chicken & Potato Stew
- Instant Pot Beef Chili with Sweet Potato
- Instant Pot Salmon with Vegetables
Also, don’t miss my epic round-up of nearly 50 Instant Pot chicken recipes, all gluten-free and dairy-free.
By the way, you should also check out my authorized Instant Pot cookbook, the Healthy Meal Prep Instant Pot Cookbook: No-Fuss Recipes for Nutritious, Ready-to-Go Meals!
Here’s my printable recipe for this Instant Pot Easy Chicken with Sweet Potato Dinner:Print
Here’s a super simple and easy Chicken & Sweet Potato Dinner recipe that only takes 30 minutes. It’s a delicious Instant Pot chicken recipe perfect for busy weeknights.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium sweet potato, chopped
- 1 cup canned chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons frozen chopped cilantro (optional)
- ½ medium lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- Drizzle your cooking oil into the Instant Pot bowl and press the Sauté Let the oil heat up for about two minutes.
- Place the chicken in the pot and use a wooden spoon or spatula to move it around. Add the thyme, garlic powder, cinnamon, and salt. Let the chicken cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally so it cooks on all sides.
- Add the broth and use a wooden spoon to scrape off any pieces of chicken that have stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Add the chopped sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and frozen cilantro (optional), and stir to combine.
- Cancel the Sauté button and lock on the lid. Set the cooking time to 8 minutes on high pressure.
- When the cooking time is up, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then quick-release the remaining pressure. Remove the lid and stir in the fresh lemon juice and ghee.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator in a tightly-sealed container for up to 4 days. This dish will keep up to several months in the freezer.
Pin this easy Instant Pot chicken recipe to Pinterest to save it!
Don’t miss a recipe! Join my weekly newsletter list to get all the latest news and recipe links delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up now and unsubscribe at any time. I will never sell your name or spam you, I promise!