How to Make Lentil Protein Powder
Here’s a recipe for how to make your own Homemade Lentil Protein Powder that you can use in smoothies or baked goods. It’s an easy, budget-friendly recipe.
Homemade Lentil Powder
Back when I was vegan, I was always looking for unsweetened protein powders that didn’t both my stomach. I first made this homemade Lentil Protein Powder recipe back in 2013, but I’ve updated it for current times.
I’m not vegan anymore, but I do still love making vegan and plant-based recipes. And, this Homemade Lentil Protein Powder recipe is a winner since it’s budget-friendly and great for adding extra protein to the diet.
Each serving of lentil powder (about 2 tablespoons) has approximately:
- 113 calories,
- 0 grams of fat,
- 20 carbs,
- 3 grams of fiber,
- and 8 grams of protein!
Once you make the powder, you can just add it to your favorite smoothies or baked goods to help bump up the protein and fiber. This recipe is 100% plant-based, vegan, and gluten-free.
The first step in making homemade lentil protein powder is to grab your lentils. I like to use brown or green lentils for this recipe. Cook two cups of the lentils according to the directions on the package, or using my recipe below.
Cool the cooked lentils by placing them in the refrigerator for a few hours.
Dehydrate the lentils in a dehydrator or using your oven. Be sure to get them completely dry so they can then be blended into a powder.
Place the dried cooked lentils in the base of a food processor or a high-speed blender. Blend until the lentils turn into a fine powder.
Transfer the lentil powder to a storage container. You can then use the powder as you would a regular protein powder.
- 2 cups dried lentils
- 6 cups water
- Rinse lentils and pick through for any debris.
- Place the lentils in a large pot, and cover with the water.
- Turn the heat to high. Once the pot is simmering, reduce the heat, cover the pot, and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Once the lentils have done cooking, transfer them to a storage container. Place them in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to cool down.
- Now, divide the cooked and cooled lentils on several dehydrator sheets (they should have room to breathe) and dehydrate them at 115°F for 10-12 hours, or until completely dry.
- Place the dried sprouted lentils into a high-speed blender and process finely into a powder.
- Use the homemade lentil powder in smoothies or baked goods to add plant-based protein to the dish.
- Store the powder in a tightly sealed container in a cool, dry place for up to several weeks.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 hours
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Dehydrator
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
- Calories: 113
- Sugar: 0.6 g
- Sodium: 2.7 mg
- Fat: 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 20.3 g
- Fiber: 3.4 g
- Protein: 7.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: how to make homemade lentil protein powder, homemade protein powder, lentil powder