Yellow Squash & Raspberry Smoothie
This Vegan Yellow Squash & Raspberry Smoothie is a delicious and healthy way to start the day. This satisfying recipe is perfectly sweet and full of fiber and nutrition.
This dairy-free smoothie recipe is really thick and creamy, with a delicious texture coming from frozen yellow squash chunks. The squash is virtually tasteless, so nobody will ever know they’re getting their veggies while drinking this delicious smoothie.
Thie squash smoothie recipe is:
- vegan and dairy-free,
- gluten-free, and
- full of fiber and nutrition.
Each serving has approximately 300 calories, 6 grams of fat, 11 grams of fiber, and 33% of the recommended daily intake of Vitamin C!
Squash may seem like a surprising ingredient to put into a smoothie, but it adds thickness and fiber without any real taste. You can use any type of summer squash including crookneck yellow squash or zucchini squash.
Plant milk like unsweetened almond milk is great as the base of this squash smoothie.
Frozen raspberries help add a pink color and lots of flavor to this frozen smoothie.
Dates add sweetness. You can leave them out or substitute 1-2 tablespoons of maple syrup, if you prefer.
How to Prepare the Squash
Some people like to slice their squash and add it to a smoothie raw.
Personally, I like to slice my squash, gently steam it, and freeze it before adding it to my smoothies (see my recipe for Instant Pot Squash). Many people report that it’s easier to digest the squash this way, meaning that they don’t get bloated or have any tummy upset as opposed to eating the squash raw.
To freeze the steamed squash slices, just lay them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Freeze the squash for at least 6 hours before using it in your smoothie or transferring it to a zip-top bag for long-term freezing.
To make this raspberry squash smoothie, simple combine the ingredients in a high-speed blender, like a Blendtec.
Blend and serve immediately. If you want to make a smoothie bowl out of this recipe, just pour the smoothie into a bowl and top with granola, more coconut, and fresh fruit.
Recipe Tips & Substitutions
- You can use yellow squash or zucchini squash. To freeze the squash, cut it into 1-inch chunks. Lay the chunks on a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. Place the baking sheet in the freezer and freeze for at least 6 hours or until frozen through. Place the frozen squash chunks in a zip-top bag and store in the freezer until you’re ready to make this recipe.
- To serve the smoothie as a smoothie bowl, pour the blended smoothie into a bowl. Top with granola and fresh raspberries, if desired. See my list of the best smoothie bowl toppings.
Other Healthy Smoothie Recipes You Might Like
- Broccoli Sprout Smoothie
- Banana Peach Smoothie
- Collard Green Smoothie
- Peanut Butter Cauliflower Smoothie
- Swiss Chard Smoothie
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 4 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 1 cup frozen yellow squash or zucchini chunks (from about 1 medium squash)*
- 2 tablespoons dried shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder or 1 teaspoon cacao nibs
- 1 scoop unsweetened protein powder
- Combine almond milk, dates, frozen raspberries, frozen squash, coconut, cocoa powder, and protein powder in the base of a high-speed blender.
- Process on high until smooth and creamy, about 30 seconds.
- Serve immediately**.
- * You can use yellow squash or zucchini squash. To freeze the squash, cut it into 1-inch chunks. Lay the chunks on a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. Place the baking sheet in the freezer and freeze for at least 6 hours or until frozen through. Place the frozen squash chunks in a zip-top bag and store in the freezer until you’re ready to make this recipe.
- **To serve the smoothie as a smoothie bowl, pour the blended smoothie into a bowl. Top with granola and fresh raspberries, if desired.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Category: Smoothie
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Healthy
- Diet: Vegan
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 307
- Sugar: 36.3 g
- Sodium: 101.1 mg
- Fat: 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 49.3 g
- Fiber: 11.5 g
- Protein: 4.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan squash smoothie, yellow squash smoothie, zucchini smoothie