Whole30 Buffalo Chicken Salad
This Whole30 Buffalo Chicken Salad is a dairy-free and nutritious version of an all-American classic bar food. This recipe includes a homemade sauce that coats the tender pieces of chicken, served on top of a romaine salad with a creamy coconut milk-based dressing.
Salad doesn’t have to be boring and this salad is anything but. Crunchy romaine, creamy dressing and buffalo chicken team up to make a flavor-packed salad you can look forward to!
- This recipe is dairy-free, paleo, and 100% Whole30 compliant! Typically buffalo sauce is made with hot sauce and butter, but this recipe uses ghee, vegan butter, or coconut oil.
- This main dish salad is full of crunchy and nutritious vegetables including romaine, carrots, and celery for a buffalo chicken dish you can feel good about eating.
- It’s easy to make and simple recipes are the best kind of recipes. I’m a firm believer that delicious food doesn’t have to be complicated. Learn more about clean eating for beginners.
On a parchment-lined baking sheet, oil and season the chicken breasts then bake until they’re done. Alternatively cook the chicken breasts in an air fryer flipping halfway through.
In a large bowl combine the romaine, carrots, and celery then set it aside to make the dressing.
In a separate bowl combine the mayo, coconut milk, garlic powder, onion powder, chives, dill, and lime juice then stir. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss until coated.
Slice the cooked chicken into small chunks. Combine the hot sauce and vegan butter, ghee, or coconut oil, and pour over the chicken.
Assemble and eat. Divide the salad among four plates and then top with chicken. Enjoy immediately.
Yes just make sure the hot sauce is gluten-free. Most hot sauces do not contain gluten ingredients but if you are extremely sensitive to trace amounts of gluten you can find one that’s labeled and/or certified gluten-free.
Dressed salads are best the day they’re made or they lose that lovely crunch. You can however prep the chicken the morning or day before and cut down your prep time.
Yes simply trim some of the excess fat off of the chicken thighs and follow the recipe as directed.
Other Easy Whole30 Recipes You Might Like
- Paprika Baked Chicken Thighs
- Air Fryer Lemon Garlic Shrimp
- Ground Turkey Meatloaf Muffins
- Instant Pot Chicken Curry with Carrots & Potatoes
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 large or 3 medium pieces)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 heads of romaine lettuce, washed, dried gently, and chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup prepared mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons full-fat canned coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried chives or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill or 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 cup cayenne pepper hot sauce (I used Frank’s Red Hot Cayenne Pepper Sauce)
- 1 tablespoon melted ghee, vegan butter or coconut oil (for dairy allergies, use coconut oil or vegan butter)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (optional, for topping)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray it lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
- Then, place the chicken breasts on the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Bake the chicken for 25-30 minutes, or until an instant read thermometer reads 165°F. Alternatively, you can cook the chicken breasts in an air-fryer at 400°F for 16 minutes, flipping the chicken once during the cooking process.
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped romaine, shredded carrot, and sliced celery. Set the bowl aside while you make the dressing.
- In a medium bowl, combine the mayonnaise, coconut milk, garlic powder, onion powder, chives, dill, and lime juice. Stir to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss until the lettuce is coated with the dressing. Divide the salad between 4 plates.
- Then, when the chicken is done cooking, slice it into 1-inch chunks. Then, in a medium bowl, combine the hot sauce and the melted ghee, vegan butter or coconut oil. Add the chicken and toss until the cooked chicken is coated with the hot sauce.
- Divide the coated chicken between the salad servings and serve while the chicken is still warm or chilled.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Healthy
- Diet: Gluten Free
Keywords: whole30 chicken salad, paleo chicken salad, dairy-free buffalo chicken