This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Last Updated on
This hearty breakfast might almost have you thinking you’re eating a dessert, but it’s actually a super nourishing version of classic oatmeal, made gluten-free and dairy-free, with a serving of vegetables!
Zoats! That’s zucchini + oats! Add that term to the “things I learned on Instagram,” ha.
Oats are a grain and aren’t technically paleo (see my current dietary approach here), but I find that the certified gluten-free version that I prepare in a traditional way works pretty well for me (I’ve included specific instructions in the recipe).
The addition of shredded zucchini helps me get my veggies, and makes this breakfast something I really look forward to eating, especially with the extra sweetness of raisins and the warmness of ground cinnamon. With a ripe banana to add thickness and creaminess, you don’t even need any additional sugar either.
Here’s my printable recipe for this Gluten-Free Zucchini Bread Oatmeal:Print
A gluten-free, delicious twist on a classic breakfast dish.
- 2/3 cup gluten-free rolled oats, soaked for at least 3 hours in water*
- 1 small zucchini, finely shredded through the tube of a food processor (yields about ½ cup firmly packed)
- 1 ripe banana, sliced
- ¼ cup water if you pre-soaked your oats. If you did not pre-soak your oats, then you’ll need at least ½ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1 tablespoon collagen protein powder (optional)
- Dairy-free milk or yogurt (optional), for serving
- *As an optional step to make the oats easier to digest, I like to soak my oats at room temperature for at least 3-8 hours in water and about a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. Then, when I’m ready to cook them, I give them a rinse in a fine mesh colander and put them in the pot.
- Place the oats, shredded zucchini, sliced banana, water, cinnamon, and raisins in a medium pot. Give the mixture a stir.
- Turn the heat to high until the mixture starts to simmer. Stir it again, cover the pot, and then reduce the heat to low and cook for about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- Just before serving, stir in the collagen peptides. Serve the oatmeal hot, with a splash of dairy-free milk or yogurt, if desired.
See how easy?! Enjoy.
Items recommended for this Gluten-Free Zucchini Bread Oatmeal recipe (some affiliate links included):
- Certified gluten-free oats. This brand is my favorite because it’s a version that is higher in protein.
- Organic real ground cinnamon.
- Collagen peptides protein powder by Vital Proteins.
- Breville food processor (this is the one I have and love).
Pin this Gluten-Free Zucchini Bread Oatmeal recipe image for later:
Let’s stay connected by e-mail! Sign up here to receive my weekly newsletter with all the latest news and insider info.
Sign up now and unsubscribe at any time. I will never sell your name or spam you, I promise!