Homemade Peppermint Coffee Recipe (Dairy-Free Option)
There’s nothing like this homemade Peppermint Coffee recipe to celebrate the holiday season. This recipe is simple to make and tastes better than any coffee shop version. I’ve included dairy-free and vegan options so everyone can enjoy this yummy coffee treat.
This is the time of year when coffee shops bust out all of the flavored coffee drinks! From the Starbucks Peppermint Mocha to peppermint hot chocolate, there are just so many choices.
But, most of these coffee drinks are usually made with a lot of questionable ingredients including peppermint syrup, chocolate shavings, peppermint candies, simple syrup, or peppermint flavoring that all can have added sugars and preservatives.
With this homemade Peppermint Coffee using just regular coffee and peppermint flavor, you can enjoy the most perfect pairing of coffee and peppermint without worrying about ingredients that might harm your health. You can also control the amount of sugar and the quality of coffee (see my list of the best organic coffee brands). You can also use decaf coffee or an espresso maker.
Homemade Peppermint Coffee Benefits
- You’ll save big bucks on the drive-thru and your taste buds will prefer this delectable homemade treat. In just a few simple steps, you’ll be able to plop down and cozy up with a steaming cup of peppermint pleasure.
- With both dairy-free and vegan alternatives, this recipe can suit a variety of lifestyles. You can also control the quality of coffee using a drip coffee maker, French press, or espresso machine.
- Wow your guests at your next holiday gathering by greeting them with warm Peppermint Coffee. It will be an unexpected, yet thrilling treat!
- Coffee is a morning must-have for many of us. Spice up your favorite blend with this recipe.
- Milk, or your dairy-free alternative, creates the creaminess that you expect in this cheery brew.
- Peppermint extract adds a flavorful punch that is warm and welcoming during the chilly season.
Please see the recipe card at the end of this post for the exact measurements.
Prepare the coffee in your preferred manner. While the coffee is brewing, warm your milk over medium heat until hot.
Please see the recipe card at the end of this post for the exact ingredients and measurements.
Gradually pour the peppermint extract into the brewed coffee. You can also add sweetener at this time including maple syrup or whatever you like.
Add the coffee to a mug, followed by the warm milk. Top with whipped cream and peppermint pieces.
Serve immediately! I hope you agree that this easy recipe is the perfect way to enjoy a healthy peppermint mocha in your own kitchen. It could also be called a skinny peppermint mocha that has a clean crisp flavor and not a lot of sugar. It’s one of my favorite drinks!
- If you’re on a dairy-free diet, I recommend using a boxed coconut beverage for this recipe. It’s not as thick as coconut milk but yields a creamy result. You could also use almond milk, oat milk, regular milk (not dairy-free), soy milk, or whatever yo like. Feel free to use a milk frother if you want more of a latte style peppermint mocha latte.
- You can feel free to add chocolate sauce or chocolate shavings to the top, but of course that will results in more sugar. For less sugar, just enjoy plain or add a natural sweetener like coconut sugar.
Yes. I used a boxed coconut beverage as a substitute for dairy milk and coconut whipped cream instead of the traditional topping. It tastes just as wonderful as the full-dairy option.
Yes, absolutely! Just make your morning cup of coffee as usual and add the peppermint and milk as desired.
More Healthy Coffee Recipes You Might Like
Don’t Miss These Coffee Resources
- 2 cups freshly brewed coffee
- 1/2 teaspoon pure peppermint extract (I used this one)
- 1/2 cup of milk of your choice (I used an unsweetened coconut beverage)
- Whipped cream (optional, for topping; I used a coconut milk whipped cream)
- Crushed peppermint candy (optional, for topping)
- Prepare the coffee using your preferred method, like a French press or drip coffee maker.
- While the coffee is brewing, pour the milk of your choice into a small pot or saucepan and warm it on the stove over medium heat until it’s hot but not boiling. Alternatively, use a milk frother for a creamier texture.
- Gradually stir the peppermint extract into the brewed coffee, adjusting the quantity to suit your taste preferences, as pure extracts are quite potent.
- Pour the flavored coffee into a large mug, followed by the warm milk. If the milk is frothed, spoon it on top of the coffee. At this point, you can also top the coffee with whipped cream and crushed peppermint candy, if using.
- Serve the coffee immediately and enjoy.
- If you’re on a dairy-free diet, I recommend using a boxed coconut beverage for this recipe. It’s not as thick as coconut milk but yields a creamy result.
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 5 Minutes
- Category: Beverages
- Method: Easy
- Cuisine: Holiday
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 46
- Sugar: 1.1 g
- Sodium: 4.8 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 1.1 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Peppermint, coffee, holiday, christmas coffee
Don’t forget to join my newsletter list to get exclusive clean eating recipes and tips. The newsletter is 100% free with no spam; unsubscribe anytime.
About the Author: Carrie Forrest has a master’s degree in public health with a specialty in nutrition. She is a top wellness and food blogger with nearly 10 million annual visitors to her site. Carrie has an incredible story of recovery from chronic illness and is passionate about helping other women transform their health. Send Carrie a message through her contact form.