These Vegan & Gluten-Free Molasses Cookies are a delicious way to celebrate the holidays. They’re grain-free and paleo too!
Healthy Holiday Treats
This is the time of year when sugar cravings and indulgences can get a little out of control, amiright? Rather than cutting out sugar completely, my suggestion is to make healthier treats instead. So, sub out refined cane sugar for more unrefined sweeteners like molasses, maple syrup, whole dates, coconut sugar, or honey. Most unrefined sweeteners have some nutritional value, too!
Vegan & Gluten-Free Molasses Cookie Ingredients
I’m one of those annoying people (I think it’s annoying) who has multiple food sensitivities, including to gluten, some grains, dairy, and eggs. So, a lot of my recipes are naturally vegan and gluten-free, which makes them great for other folks who have food restrictions. Grain-free treats usually meet paleo diet standards, too, especially when using unrefined sweeteners like molasses.
The ingredients in this Vegan & Gluten-Free Molasses Cookies include:
- cassava flour
- baking powder
- ground cinnamon
- nut butter
- blackstrap molasses
- chia seeds + water to make a chia egg
- vanilla extract
- brown sugar (optional, for topping)
How to Make These Vegan Molasses Cookies
The first step is to pre-heat your oven and make the chia egg. A chia egg takes about 10 minutes to thicken. All you have to do is combine a tablespoon of chia seeds with 3 tablespoons of water. So easy!
Next, you just combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and then add the wet ingredients, including the chia egg. The batter will be fairly thick and a beautiful color due to the molasses. The batter smells heavenly, too!
Drop the batter onto your cookie sheet and top each cookie with a pinch of brown sugar for extra sparkle and sweetness. These are holiday cookies, after all.
These cookies only take about 16-18 minutes to cook. They’re so soft and delicately sweet. I think you’re really going to love them!
Other Healthy Holiday Treats You Might Like
- Cassava Flour Holiday Cookies
- Paleo Shortbread Chocolate Cups
- Chocolate Buckwheat Brittle
- Homemade Peppermint Patties
- Date-Nut Bread
- Vegan Peppermint Bites (gluten-free, no added sugar)
Here’s the printable recipe for these Vegan & Gluten-Free Molasses Cookies:Print
A healthy holiday cookie that is vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, and paleo!
- 1 chia egg (1 tablespoon chia seeds + 3 tablespoons of water)
- 1 cup cassava flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup peanut butter or almond butter (unsweetened)
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ½ cup blackstrap molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional, for topping)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper for easy clean up.
- Make the chia egg by combining the chia seeds and water in a small glass bowl. Stir and set aside for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Next, combine the cassava flour, baking powder, and ground cinnamon in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the nut butter, applesauce, molasses, vanilla, and the chia egg to the mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Use a spoon to drop the batter onto the cookie sheet. You’ll have enough for about 15-16 cookies.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until the cookies start to brown. Be careful not to let them burn.
- Enjoy warm or at room temperature.
Be sure to pin this image to save this recipe for later!
Don’t miss a recipe! Join my weekly newsletter list to get all the latest news and recipe links delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up now and unsubscribe at any time. I will never sell your name or spam you, I promise!