This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Last Updated on
This Instant Pot Amaranth Porridge is a quick and easy healthy breakfast that is gluten-free and dairy-free. I’ve included stovetop instructions too!
What is Amaranth?
Amaranth is not a well known grain. It is one of the pseudograins like buckwheat and quinoa. It is gluten-free and can be served as a breakfast porridge or as a savory dish. You can cook amaranth either in a pressure cooker or on the stovetop, I’ve included instructions for either method. If you want to prepare it in a traditional manner, you can soak the uncooked grain in filtered water for 8-24 hours before rinsing and cooking it.
How Long to Cook Amaranth?
Amaranth only takes 5 minutes to cook in a pressure cooker. You use 1 cup of amaranth with 2 1/2 cups of liquid.
To prepare amaranth on the stovetop, combine 1 cup of the uncooked grain with 3 cups of water. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover the pot, and cook for about 25 minutes on low heat.
Amaranth has some great nutritional properties. It is very high in plant-based protein and iron. While it is actually a seed and not a grain, it cooks up like a grain and tastes like a grain. I would describe its cooked texture most like cream of wheat. I like this brand of organic amaranth.
Amaranth is naturally gluten-free, so it is a great addition to gluten-free diets. Read about the health reasons to consider going gluten-free. You might also like my article with tips for starting a gluten-free and dairy-free diet. This is the diet that I follow to manage my PCOS and autoimmune disease.
Instant Pot Amaranth Porridge
This recipe is so easy to make, and it is done in 30 minutes. Most of that time is hands off. Here’s how to make it.
- Combine 1 cup of uncooked amaranth with 2 1/2 cups of unsweetened almond milk or water in your Instant Pot.
- Lock on the lid and set to high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Once the cooking time is complete, let the pressure come down naturally for about 10 minutes.
- Release any extra pressure and remove the lid. Stir in the ground cinnamon, your protein powder (optional), and serve with fruit or your favorite toppings.
Here’s the printable recipe for this Instant Pot Amaranth Porridge:Print
This Instant Pot Amaranth Porridge is a quick and easy healthy breakfast that is gluten-free and dairy-free. This recipe is also sugar-free.
- 1 cup uncooked amaranth
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 ripe bananas, sliced
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, for topping
- 2 scoops collagen peptides* or your favorite protein powder (optional, for extra protein)
- For pressure cooker: Combine amaranth, almond milk, and bananas into a 3-quart pressure cooker. Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes and let the pressure come down naturally for at least 10 minutes. Serve hot with cinnamon sprinkled on top and collagen peptides stirred in.
- For stove-top cooking: Bring almond milk to a gentle boil in a lidded pot. Stir in the amaranth and sliced bananas, lower the heat, and simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until the grain has absorbed most of the liquid. Serve hot with cinnamon sprinkled on top (porridge will thicken as it sits).
Leave out the collagen for vegan.
READ NEXT: INSTANT POT STEEL CUT OATS
Pin this healthy breakfast recipe to save it for later!
Don’t miss a recipe! Join my weekly newsletter list to get all the latest news and recipe links delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up now and unsubscribe at any time. I will never sell your name or spam you, I promise!