Easy Oven Baked Kale Chips Using Coconut Oil
These oven baked kale chips using coconut oil are such an easy side dish or snack. They’re crunchy, healthy, and delicious!
Have you ever tried making your own kale chips? I have made them off and on for many years, usually in my food dehydrator. I’ve found that baking them in the oven is my preferred method though, since it’s so quick and easy.
I recently bought a bag of kale chips at the store and couldn’t believe that they were nearly $7 a bag! So, I am back to making my own. I can make my own homemade batch for closer to $2.50 a batch, so that’s a huge savings. I think you’re really going to love this easy kale chip recipe.
Best Kale for Kale Chips
There are three main varieties of kale that I usually see at the store: curly kale, baby kale, and lacinato or dino kale. I only recommend using curly kale for making homemade kale chips. The other varieties really aren’t ideal for various reasons.
Curly kale can come in a green or purple variety and you can use either one for kale chips. I chose green curly kale for this recipe since that’s what I found at the farmers’ market.
You won’t believe how simple this oven baked kale chip recipe is. I used only three ingredients:
- curly kale
- coconut oil
You can feel free to get creative with your flavorings.
It’s so easy to make homemade baked kale chips. Here are the steps.
Remove the kale from the stems. Wash the leaves in a colander.
Pour the kale leaves onto a clean dish cloth and pat dry.
Place the kale into a large mixing bowl and pour over the coconut oil. Use your hands to coat the kale leaves with the oil.
Bake on a lined baking sheet at 350°F for 8 minutes on one side and then 5 additional minutes on the other side.
Serve hot out of the oven.
How do you store kale chips?
I store them in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days after baking.
Can I make kale chips in a dehydrator?
Yes, but you will need to bake them for up to 12-18 hours to get them crispy.
Here is the printable recipe:Print
Oven Baked Kale Chips
These oven baked kale chips are a healthy snack or side dish made in 15 minutes!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Sides
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Healthy, Vegan, paleo, gluten free, whole30
- 1 large bunch curly kale, green or purple
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or aluminum foil for easy clean-up.
- Use your hands to remove the kale leaves from the stems. Add the leaves to a salad spinner and wash thoroughly. Spin dry.
- Gently pat the kale dry using paper towels or a clean dish towel. Place them in a bowl and pour over the coconut oil.
- Use your hands to coat the kale with the oil.
- Place the kale leaves on the baking sheets, trying to keep the leaves from overlapping. Sprinkle lightly with the salt.
- Bake at 350°F for 8 minutes. Flip the kale chips and return them to the oven. Bake for approximately 5 more minutes, or until the leaves start to become brown around the edges. Be careful not to burn.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
Store any leftovers in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Keywords: how to make kale chips in the oven, homemade kale chips, baked kale chips recipe