This Gluten-Free Kale & Sweet Potato Bake can be served as a vegan and paleo side dish. Everyone loves it because of the hearty and delicious sweet potatoes.
Gluten-Free Kale & Sweet Potato Bake
This dish is kind of like a casserole in that you can just combine the ingredients ahead of time and then bake it when you’re ready to eat. It has three real ingredients: kale, sweet potato, and onion. The coconut oil, salt, pepper, and a sprinkle of ground cinnamon and thyme are optional!
The steps to make this dish are really easy.
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF.
- Peel and chop your sweet potatoes.
- Chop the onion, and kale, and toss it all with your choice of oil and spices.
- Bake for 45 minutes and serve hot.
There is a really nice mixture of sweet potatoes and kale in this casserole, along with the great flavor and texture of the onion. I love the sweetness and heartiness from the potatoes, with the extra savory flavor from the kale and onion.
The kale does get cooked down during the baking process, but it’s still a nice-looking dish that you can serve at holidays or family gatherings. Your friends on a paleo, vegan, Whole30, or real food diet will love you for making this. I like to serve it as a nice side dish, and the leftovers heat up nicely too.
I originally shared this recipe back in 2015, but I’ve updated it with a how-to video!
Here’s the printable recipe for this super easy Gluten-Free Kale & Sweet Potato Bake:Print
This easy casserole can be served as a main or side dish.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 bunch of curly kale
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil, optional
- 1 teaspoon each of ground cinnamon and dried thyme, optional
- salt and ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into approximately 1-inch cubes and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Chop the kale and onion into bite-sized pieces and add to the bowl.
- Pour the melted coconut oil over the mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour ingredients into a baking dish and cook for 45 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender.
Items recommended for this Gluten-Free Kale & Sweet Potato Bake:
- Le Creuset Stoneware Rectangular Dish in Green (similar to mine)
- Extra virgin organic coconut oil
- Organic ground cinnamon
- Organic dried thyme leaf
Other recipes using sweet potatoes that you might like:
And, here’s an image to save to your favorite Pinterest board!
Don’t miss a recipe! Join my weekly newsletter list to get all the latest news and recipe links delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up now and unsubscribe at any time. I will never sell your name or spam you, I promise!