Air Fryer Kale Chips (Crispy & Vegan)
You’re going to love these Air Fryer Kale Chips that have a cheesy flavor, but are 100% vegan and dairy-free. This recipe is perfect for a quick, healthy snack. Make this easy kale chips recipe in just 7 minutes.
While I used to always make oven kale chips, now I only make them in the air fryer! Air fryer kale chips are easy to make, fast, and are so much better for you than potato chips.
Did you know that kale is a member of the cabbage and cruciferous vegetable family? Like other leafy greens, it is very high in antioxidants and vitamin K. And, raw kale contains even more vitamin C than a whole orange! The benefits of kale are simply too numerous to list.
If you’re looking for a snack that is also low carb, then you’ve got to try this air fryer kale chips recipe.
- These delicious kale chips are dairy-free, grain-free, gluten-free, and take less time than in an oven.
- Kale chips can be served as a nutritious and satisfying snack, or you can make for a side dish instead of a salad.
- Make a big batch of kale chips and store them in an airtight container like a zip-top bag for up to 5 days. Snack on them throughout the week.
- Nutritional yeast is a vegan and dairy-free healthy alternative to Parmesan cheese (read more about the health reasons to go dairy-free). “Nooch” is a deactivated yeast product that is high in fiber and low in carbs. Buy this non-fortified nutritional yeast.
The first step in making the best air fryer kale chips is to wash your bunch of kale under cold water and pat it dry with paper towels or a clean cloth. You can also use a salad spinner. Then, pull each of the leaves off of the stems, and place them into a large bowl.
Add in the olive oil or avocado oil, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper. Use your hands to massage the oil into the kale pieces. This will ensure that each chip gets nice and crispy.
If you don’t have nutritional yeast, feel free to leave it out. And, if you prefer other seasonings, you can get creative. You can use garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, or your favorite seasonings. Think of seasoning kale chips like you would season popcorn; the flavor combinations are endless!
Transfer the kale leaves to the basket of your air fryer, and set the temperature to 390 degrees F for 7 minutes.
Keep a close eye on your air-fryer kale chips to make sure they don’t burn. They should get a little browned and crispy.
Also, if you see small pieces flying around the basket, you should put a second rack on top of the kale to keep them away from the heating element.
The kale chips will crisp up even more after they are done and they cool for a few minutes.
Serve them warm or at room temperature.
Yes, you can use other types of kale to make the chips, but the curly type is best. The curled edges help hold on to the toppings.
Yes! You can make kale chips in an oven. Spread the kale pieces into a single layer on a baking sheet. Set the temperature to 350 degrees F for about 12-15 minutes. For more details, see my Oven-Baked Kale Chip recipe.
Yes, just leave out the nutritional yeast if you don’t have it on hand.
Other Healthy Air Fryer Recipes You Might Like
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Air Fryer Green Beans
- Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
- Air Fryer Blueberry Muffins
Watch me make this recipe on my YouTube channel!
Or, see my entire index of healthy air fryer recipes.
I hope you make this recipe! If you do, please leave a comment and a starred review below.Print
You’re going to love these Air Fryer Kale Chips that have a cheesy flavor, but are 100% vegan and dairy-free. This recipe is perfect for a quick, healthy snack. Make these healthy chips in just 7 minutes.
- 1 batch curly kale, washed and patted dry
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Remove the leaves from the stems of the kale and place them in a medium bowl.
- Add the olive oil, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper. Use your hands to massage the toppings into the kale leaves.
- Pour the kale into the basket of your air fryer and cook on 390 degrees F for 6-7 minutes, or until they are crispy.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- If you are using a small air fryer, then cook your kale chips in two batches. You don’t want to overfill the air fryer basket.
- You can use other types of kale besides curly kale, but curly kale works best.
- Store your cooked kale chips in a zip-top bag for up to 5 days.
- If you don’t have nutritional yeast or you don’t like it, just leave it out of the recipe.
- OVEN INSTRUCTIONS: You can make kale chips in an oven. Set the temperature to 350 degrees F for about 12-15 minutes.
- Category: Snack
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cheesy kale chips, air fried kale chips, kale chips using nutritional yeast
Don’t forget to join the Clean Eating Kitchen newsletter. You’ll get my Clean Eating Quick Start Guide, plus links to all the latest recipes.