Sweet Kale Salad with Creamy Dressing (Vegan)
You’ve never had kale salad like this before! This Sweet Kale Salad with a creamy dressing is so delicious and satisfying. This recipe is oil-free, dairy-free, gluten-free, naturally-sweetened, and vegan-friendly.
This creamy kale salad recipe is an update to a very old recipe on my site called my Strangely Addictive Kale Salad recipe. If you are a long-time reader of this blog, then you probably remember that recipe.
I’ve updated the photos and refined the recipe to make it quick and easy. I hope you love it!
You’ll need some shredded kale for this recipe. You can either buy it pre-shredded or shred it yourself.
The dressing is made using a blended mixture of tahini or almond butter, lime juice, dates, shallot, and almond milk. I’m telling you, it’s absolutely scrumptious!
The easiest way to make a kale salad is to buy pre-washed and shredded kale. But, if you want to save money, then you can always wash and shred it yourself. Just buy one bunch of curly green or purple kale, rinse the leaves under running water, and then pat them dry.
Pull off each leaf from the stems, place them in a mixing bowl, and then use scissors or your hands to shred the leaves into bite-sized pieces. Or, you can use the shredding dish on a food processor.
The next step is to make the dressing. For this Sweet Kale Salad, we’re going to make a creamy dressing that is sweetened with dates.
To make the dressing, just combine your unsweetened plant milk with your tahini or almond butter, dates, lemon or lime juice, some shallot or onion, and salt and pepper, if desired.
Pour the dressing over your kale salad and use a spoon or your hands to mix together.
If you can, let your Sweet Kale Salad sit for 15 minutes before serving. The kale will become more tender as it sits with the dressing. Otherwise, you can serve it right away.
Either way, I think you are really going to love this salad. The date-sweetened, creamy dressing goes so well with the crunchy kale leaves. It is my favorite way to eat kale!
Yes, but the spinach doesn’t hold up as well as the kale, so it may become soggy.
Yes, but curly kale is the preferred type of kale for this salad. It is the most tender of the types of kale.
More Healthy Kale Recipes You Might Like
- Air Fryer “Cheezy” Kale Chips
- Oven Baked Kale Chips
- Sweet Potato & Kale Casserole
- How to Freeze Kale for Smoothies
I hope you make this recipe! If you do, please leave a comment and a starred review below.Print
- 8 ounces shredded kale salad, from about 1 large bunch (see notes)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 4 pitted Medjool dates
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/2 shallot
- 1/3 cup tahini or almond butter
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Place the shredded kale in a medium mixing bowl.
- Then, combine the almond milk, dates, lime juice, shallot, and tahini or almond butter in the base of a high-speed blender.
- Blend on high for about 30 seconds, or until the dressing is creamy.
- Pour the dressing over the kale and use a spatula or your hands to toss the salad. Make sure that the dressing gets evenly distributed on the kale.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate before serving. The kale will get more tender as it sits with the dressing.
- The easiest way to make a kale salad is to buy pre-washed and shredded kale. But, if you want to save money, then you can always wash and shred it yourself. Just buy one bunch of curly green or purple kale, rinse the leaves under running water, and then pat them dry. Pull off each leaf from the stems, place them in a mixing bowl, and then use scissors or your hands to shred the leaves into bite-sized pieces. Or, you can use the shredding dish on a food processor to shred the kale (be sure not to over-process the kale or it will start to break down)
- Store any leftovers in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- To make this a main dish, serve the kale salad with your favorite cooked protein, including grilled or baked tofu cubes, crumbled tempeh, grilled sliced chicken, or cooked steak. If you use an animal protein, then the salad will no longer be vegan.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Salad
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: Healthy
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: kale salad with tahini dressing, strangely addictive kale salad, almond butter kale salad dressing
Don’t forget to join the Clean Eating Kitchen newsletter. You’ll get my Clean Eating Quick Start Guide, plus links to all the latest recipes.