This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
Last Updated on
These Cinnamon Apple Muffins are a grain-free and gluten-free treat. The muffins are moist and sweet, with a delightful apple topping for added texture and flavor.
Grain-Free Baking Can Be Challenging!
I’m getting a handle on this grain-free baking thing. Honestly, I’ve had so many baking disasters over the years, especially during my egg-free days. I’ve redeemed myself with this Cinnamon Apple Muffin recipe, and this shall be my standard going forward (declares with arm raised victoriously in the air).
Can you get an idea from my photos that these turned out great? I loved the cinnamon baked apple chunks on the top!
Which Apples are Best for Muffins & Baking?
I guess I should give credit to the apples themselves for being naturally sweet and lovely. I will only eat Fuji apples, by the way. You could use Honeycrisp, but I’m insisting that you use only one of these two varieties. Leave a comment if you want to fight about apples, ha ha!
Some Healthy Baking Tips
I used applesauce in the batter to off-set the need for too much oil. Also, these muffins are grain-free and gluten-free. How did I manage that? I used my all-time favorite flour, Otto’s Cassava Flour (affiliate link included).
I tried a different brand of cassava flour recently and it had the strongest flavor that I could barely even tolerate. Cassava flour should be very neutral in flavor and I can only recommend Otto’s Cassava Flour brand.
Cassava Flour is a Whole Food!
Cassava is made from a whole food so it’s in that real food category of products. If you really don’t want to use cassava flour this time, then I’ll give you a pass and let you use almond flour. But, I always get acne after eating almond flour treats, so I try to use it very sparingly.
I really hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.
Other Healthy Grain-Free Desserts You Might Like:
- Cassava Flour Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Easy Black Bean Brownies
- Date Nut Sweet Dessert Bread
- Pear Apple Cobbler
Here’s the printable recipe for these Cassava Flour Cinnamon Apple Muffins made grain-free and gluten-free.Print
These muffins are made grain-free using cassava flour.
- 2 cups cassava flour
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ fuji apple, chopped (about ½ cup)
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup melted ghee
- for the topping
- ½ fuji apple, chopped (about ½ cup)
- 1 teaspoon freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Grease a muffin tin with coconut or avocado oil and set aside.
- Combine the cassava flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and ½ cup chopped apple into a medium mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Then, combine the eggs, vanilla extract, applesauce, almond milk, maple syrup, and melted ghee into a small mixing bowl.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and use a spatula to stir together until smooth. If necessary, add an extra 1-2 tablespoons of almond milk to get a smooth batter.
- Then, pour the batter into the muffin tin.
- To make the topping, combine the rest of the chopped apple with lemon juice and coconut sugar. Use a tablespoon to divide the topping evenly on the muffin batter.
- Bake the muffins for 25 minutes, or until they have browned on top.
- Let them cool in the pan before removing. Serve immediately or refrigerate (or freeze) any leftovers.
Store any leftovers in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
And, here’s a Pin for this Cassava Flour recipe to save it for later!
READ NEXT: CASSAVA FLOUR CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS
Don’t miss a recipe! Join my weekly newsletter list to get all the latest news and recipe links delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up now and unsubscribe at any time. I will never sell your name or spam you, I promise!