Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
These Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins are full of lemon flavor! They are a delicious way to celebrate spring. This easy and healthy muffin recipe is made egg-free and dairy-free with a gluten-free option.
There is just something special about lemon muffins. The lemon zest and lemon juice go so well with the poppy seeds. And, even though this muffin recipe is vegan with a gluten-free option, the muffins are fluffy, tender, and absolutely perfect.
Try these muffins for Easter, Mother’s Day, or just to celebrate the warmer days of spring.
Why You Need This Recipe
- Plant-based friends can enjoy this vegan muffin recipe that is full of flavor.
- Use a gluten-free baking flour to make this recipe both vegan and gluten-free.
- These muffins freeze well. Make a double batch and freeze the second batch for later.
All purpose or gluten-free baking flour make the base of these Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins.
Poppy seeds add texture and flavor to the muffins.
Freshly-squeeze lemon juice plus lemon zest add a bright flavor of real lemon.
Applesauce and coconut oil add moisture but keep the muffins light and fluffy.
Preheat your oven and line your muffin tin with muffin liners. Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
Combine the wet ingredients in a mixing bowl.
Please see the recipe card at the end of this post for the exact ingredients and measurements.
Pour wet ingredients into dry and combine well. This is a thick batter!
Divide the batter between the muffin wells and bake for 15-18 minutes. Let the muffins cool slightly before serving.
Yes, but I personally believe that these muffins are sweet enough that they don’t need a glaze.
Yes, you can use whatever type of unsweetened plant milk you like for this recipe.
You can – but then you’ll miss out on the zest! I think they just feel so much fresher when you grab some lemons.
Other Healthy Spring Desserts You Might Like
- Dairy-Free Mango Ice Cream
- Gluten-Free Blueberry Crisp
- Gluten-Free Lemon Drizzle Cake
- Gluten-Free Strawberry Muffins
- Gluten-Free Peach Cobbler
- Vegan Blackberry Muffins
- Vegan Peach Ice Cream
I hope you make this recipe! If you do, please leave a comment and a starred review below.Print
- 2 cups all-purpose baking flour or gluten-free baking flour (I used Bob’s 1-to-1 Gluten-Free Baking Flour)
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar or white sugar
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or your favorite plant-milk
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest (from about 2 lemons)
- 1/3 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a muffin tin with muffin liners (or spray the wells with nonstick cooking spray).
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, and sea salt. Use a whisk or spoon to mix together.
- In a small bowl, combine the almond milk, lemon zest, lemon juice, applesauce, coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and use a spatula to stir together. Make sure there are no lumps in the batter.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the muffin tin and bake for 15-18 minutes or until the tops of the muffins are golden brown.
- Remove the muffins to a drying rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Store any leftovers in a tightly-sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Healthy
- Diet: Vegan
Keywords: how to make healthy lemon poppyseed muffins, poppyseed muffins, lemon muffins
Don’t forget to join the Clean Eating Kitchen newsletter. You’ll get my Clean Eating Quick Start Guide, plus links to all the latest recipes.