Easy Fresh Fruit Salad with Toasted Coconut
This Easy Fresh Fruit Salad with Toasted Coconut is a healthy, naturally sweet dessert or snack that is perfect for kids or adults.
No matter the season, it’s usually possible to find fresh fruit to make into a fruit salad. In the summertime, you can use stone fruits like peaches, nectarines, and plums. In the wintertime, I recommend using citrus fruits like oranges, plus kiwi fruit, pears, apples, and persimmons.
When you’re choosing your ingredients, it’s also nice to look for a variety of colors. For the recipe I’m sharing today, I highlighted green with the kiwi and orange from the mandarin oranges.
Fresh Fruit + Jicama
I also like to sneak in a non-fruit ingredient into this salad that adds fiber without a lot of sugar, and that ingredient is jicama! Have you ever tried it? It is not very pretty if you buy it in its natural state, but it looks very much like the inside of a pear once you peel it and chop it.
But once you peel off the skin and chop it up, its creamy white flesh hides beautifully in the fruit salad. And, jicama is meant to be served raw. It’s natural in flavor, full of healthy fiber, and blends beautifully into whatever it’s served with. If you can’t find it, you can just leave it out.
The steps are so easy to make this salad. You just grab your ingredients, chop them into bite-sized pieces, toast some coconut, and toss it all together. I like to add a squeeze of fresh lime juice to add a little extra brightness.
How to Serve This Salad
I like to make a fruit salad for an easy dessert or snack. It’s especially great if you’re trying to cut back on added sugars (like during my Sugar Free Challenge), but you want something sweet after a meal.
Fruit truly is nature’s candy and so it’s meant to be enjoyed in this way. The toasted coconut makes this dish even more satisfying by adding a healthy fat and a little bit of crunchy texture. If you don’t like coconut, you can just leave it out!
Other Healthy Salad Recipes You Might Like
I hope you make this recipe! If you do, please leave a comment and a starred review below.Print
This Easy Fresh Fruit Salad with Toasted Coconut is a healthy, naturally sweet dessert or snack that is perfect for kids or adults. Vegan and gluten-free.
- 2 mandarin oranges or tangerines
- 2 sweet red apples
- 2 ripe pears
- 3 kiwi fruit, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium jicama
- 1 small lime
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted*
- Peel the mandarin oranges and divide into segments, placing them into a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Chop the apple, pears, and kiwi fruits into bite-sized pieces and add them to the bowl. Stir the fruit pieces together.
- Rinse any dirt of the jicama and use a vegetable peeler to peel off the skin. Chop the jicama into bite-sized chunks and add to the bowl. Stir one more time to combine.
- Juice the lime and pour the juice over the fruit. Sprinkle the coconut on top and stir well to combine.
- Feel free to use whatever fresh fruit you prefer or is in season. You will need about 4 cups total.
- *To toast the coconut, place it in a small, dry skillet over low heat. Let it heat up for about 3-4 minutes until it starts to brown. Stir occasionally, and be careful to not let it burn. Let the coconut cool for a few minutes before adding it to the fruit.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Chopped
- Cuisine: Healthy
Keywords: coconut fruit salad, easy fruit dessert recipe, coconut salad
Don’t forget to join the Clean Eating Kitchen newsletter. You’ll get my Clean Eating Quick Start Guide, plus links to all the latest recipes.