This Homemade Vegan Chocolate Raspberry Ice Cream recipe hits the spot for a refreshing dessert. It’s date-sweetened and made with coconut milk.
How to Make Homemade Vegan Ice Cream
When I first went dairy-free back around 2010, I got to attend a vegan ice cream making workshop at my local library. How fun was that? The presenter had a book about the topic and it was one of the first cookbooks I owned.
I sure enjoyed learning the art of making dairy-free ice cream, but the only problem was that I used soy milk as the base. That’s fine for folks who tolerate soy, but I just recently found out through food sensitivity testing that my immune system is reactive to soy. Bummer!
That’s okay because coconut milk works almost as well as soy, probably the only downside is that it freezes harder which makes it more difficult to scoop unless you either eat it just after making it or you let it warm up a bit after it’s been in the freezer (I’ve made these suggestions in the printable recipe below).
Vegan Coconut Chocolate Raspberry Ice Cream Ingredients
The ingredients for this coconut-based Chocolate Raspberry Ice Cream are so simple: coconut milk, cocoa powder, fresh or frozen raspberries, vanilla, and mint (optional).
Fresh or Frozen Raspberries
I’ve been going crazy with the fresh raspberries this season, but you can absolutely use frozen raspberries. Just defrost them before making this ice cream. The fresh mint is also optional, but it adds some complexity and brightness to the overall flavor, and mint + chocolate + raspberries is just about the most delicious combo I’ve tried in a long time.
Date-Sweetened Ice Cream
The fact that this ice cream recipe is sweetened with dates also works really nicely for hot summer weather. Dates are a great source of potassium, as well as natural sugar paired with fiber.
You will need a food processor or high-speed blender to prepare the ice cream mixture, and then you can use an ice cream maker OR use the method I describe in this post about how to make homemade ice cream without a maker to get the right consistency.Print
This Vegan Chocolate Raspberry Ice Cream is made dairy-free using coconut milk. It’s also refined sugar free, and sweetened with dates.
- 1 13.5-ounce can full-fat coconut milk, chilled
- 1 pint fresh raspberries (or 1 cup frozen raspberries, defrosted)
- 1 cup Medjool dates (about 12 large dates), pitted
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6–8 fresh mint leaves
- Freeze the base of your ice cream maker.
- Place the can of coconut milk in the fridge so it’s completely chilled before starting.
- Combine the coconut milk, raspberries, dates, cocoa powder, vanilla, and mint into a high-speed blender or food processor.
- Process on high until ingredients are combined.
- Pour the mixture into the base of your ice cream maker and churn for 30 minutes.
- Use a spatula to transfer the ice cream to a glass container and place in the freezer for at least 30 minutes to harden.
- Serve cold.
This ice cream is best served the same day. If you do freeze it overnight, then just let it warm up a bit on your kitchen counter before scooping.
Pin this image to save this recipe for later:
Don’t miss a recipe! Join my weekly newsletter list to get all the latest news and recipe links delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up now and unsubscribe at any time. I will never sell your name or spam you, I promise!