This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission.
This Indian Yellow Rice recipe is fluffy and flavorful. Its vibrant yellow color comes from ground turmeric, an anti-inflammatory spice.
Why is this Simple Rice Dish So Amazing?
- This recipe is gluten-free and vegan, but it full of amazing flavor!
- White rice is easier to digest than brown rice, so this recipe is appropriate for most diets.
- It contains turmeric which is believed to be an anti-inflammatory spice plus cashews which are crunchy and healthy.
How to Make This Recipe
1. Rinse your white basmati rice in a fine-mesh sieve. Let the water run until it’s clear.
2. Bring rice and water or vegetable broth to a boil in a medium saucepan.
3. Add remaining ingredients except for the cashews and cook 15-20 minutes.
4. Fluff the rice and top with cashews before serving.
Is this Yellow Rice Recipe Healthy?
- White rice sometimes gets a bad rap, but white rice is easier to digest than brown rice.
- You can lower the glycemic effect of white rice by eating it with lots of high-fiber vegetables and a clean protein.
- White rice is also a very low allergenic food, so it is appropriate for a lot of people with food sensitivities.
- Rinse the rice before cooking. This removes starch from the surface of the rice and prevents the grains from becoming too sticky when cooked.
- If you don’t have a cinnamon stick, you can use 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon instead.
- Don’t add the cashews until just before serving. This will help keep them nice and crunchy!
- Store any leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for up to five days.
Other Healthy Side Dish Recipes You Might Like
Here is the printable Indian Yellow Rice recipe:Print
This Indian Yellow Rice recipe is fluffy and flavorful. It’s vibrant yellow color comes from ground turmeric, an anti-inflammatory spice.
- 1 cup long-grain white rice (Jasmine or Basmati)
- 2 cups water or reduced-sodium vegetable broth*
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup chopped cashews
- Place the rice in a fine-mesh sieve and rinse it under cool, running water. Pour the rinsed rice into a medium saucepan. Add the water or vegetable broth and turn the heat to high.
- Once the mixture comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low. Stir in the turmeric, cinnamon, cumin seeds, salt, pepper, and raisins.
- Cover the pot and let it cook for 15-20 minutes. The rice is done when it has absorbed all of the liquid.
- Use a fork to gently fluff the rice. Sprinkle the cashews on top and serve warm.
*You can use water or vegetable broth to cook the rice. The vegetable broth will give more flavor to the dish than using water.
Store any leftover rice in a tightly-sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
If you don’t have a cinnamon stick, you can use ¼ teaspoon of ground cinnamon instead.
Pin this Indian Yellow Rice recipe to Pinterest to save it for later:
Don’t miss a recipe! Join my weekly newsletter list to get all the latest news and recipe links delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up now and unsubscribe at any time. I will never sell your name or spam you, I promise!