Yellow Rice Recipe
This Indian-inspired Yellow Rice recipe is so fluffy and flavorful. Its vibrant color comes from ground turmeric, an anti-inflammatory spice. Make this healthy side dish in less than 30 minutes!
- This Indian Yellow Rice recipe is naturally gluten-free, vegetarian, and vegan, but it full of amazing flavor!
- Yellow rice contains turmeric which is proven to be an anti-inflammatory spice.
- The chopped cashews on top add crunch and even more healthy nutrition.
How to Make This Recipe
Rinse your long-grain white rice in a fine-mesh sieve. Let the water run until it’s clear.
Bring rice and water or vegetable broth to a boil in a medium saucepan.
Add remaining ingredients except for the cashews and cook 15-20 minutes. See the recipe card at the end of this post for the exact measurements.
Fluff the Indian Yellow Rice and top with cashews before serving.
Is this Recipe Healthy?
- White rice sometimes gets a bad rap, but white rice tends to be easier to digest than brown rice. For this reason, white rice is sometimes even included in paleo diets as a “safe starch.”
- You can lower the glycemic effect of white rice by eating it with lots of high-fiber vegetables and a clean protein.
- White rice is also a very low allergenic food, so it is appropriate for a lot of people with food sensitivities.
- Rinse the rice before cooking. This removes starch from the surface of the rice and prevents the grains from becoming too sticky when cooked.
- If you don’t have a cinnamon stick, you can use 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon instead.
- Don’t add the cashews until just before serving. This will help keep them nice and crunchy!
- Store any leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for up to five days.
Yes, just substitute 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin for the cumin seeds.
Other Healthy Side Dish Recipes You Might Like
This recipe also goes perfectly with my Coconut Lentil Curry!
I hope you make this recipe! If you do, please leave a comment and a starred review below.Print
Yellow Rice Recipe
This Indian-inspired Yellow Rice recipe is fluffy and flavorful. It’s vibrant yellow color comes from ground turmeric, an anti-inflammatory spice.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Side dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 cup long-grain white rice (Jasmine or Basmati)
- 2 cups water or reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup chopped cashews
- Place the rice in a fine-mesh sieve and rinse it under cool, running water.
- Pour the rinsed rice into a medium saucepan. Add the water or vegetable broth and turn the heat to high.
- Once the mixture comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low. Stir in the turmeric, cinnamon, cumin seeds, salt, pepper, and raisins.
- Cover the pot and let it cook for 15-20 minutes. The rice is done when it has absorbed all of the liquid.
- Use a fork to gently fluff the rice. Sprinkle the cashews on top and serve warm.
- You can use water or vegetable broth to cook the rice. The vegetable broth will give more flavor to the dish than using water.
- Store any leftover rice in a tightly-sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat before serving.
- If you don’t have a cinnamon stick, you can use ¼ teaspoon of ground cinnamon instead.
Keywords: indian rice, yellow rice recipe, how to make yellow rice
Don’t forget to join the Clean Eating Kitchen newsletter. You’ll get my Clean Eating Quick Start Guide, plus links to all the latest recipes.