Instant Pot Sweet Potato Beef Chili
This recipe for Instant Pot Sweet Potato Beef Chili is a tasty and nourishing dinner that you can throw together in a short amount of time. You can serve it right out of the pot, and then use the leftovers for lunch or dinner the next day. This homemade chili is ready in just 35 minutes! I’ve also included stovetop instructions.
This Instant Pot Sweet Potato Chili recipe has it all: flavorful ground beef, hearty sweet potatoes, super rich tomato paste, and beans. The flavor of the chili is classic and satisfying, without being too spicy.
This recipe is also very versatile. If you don’t want to use ground beef, you can substitute with ground chicken, turkey, or pork. You can also use your choice of beans, such pinto beans, white beans, black beans, or whatever bean have on hand.
See my related recipe for Instant Pot Sweet Potato Turkey Chili.
If you’ve ever made chili on the stovetop, then you know how long it can take. Homemade chili is usually an all-day affair. This version of sweet potato chili is so much easier because the pressure cooker cuts the cooking time down. That said, I’ve also included stovetop instructions if you prefer to make this in a pot instead of a pressure cooker.
Sauté the onion and garlic in a little bit of oil using the Sauté mode on your Instant Pot.
Add the ground beef and use a spatula to break up the pieces. Let the beef start to cook for about 3 minutes.
Add the rest of the ingredients and stir. Lock on the lid and set the time to 8 minutes at high pressure.
As always, please do see the recipe card at the end of this post for the exact ingredients and measurements.
Once the cooking time is complete, let the pressure come down naturally for about 10 minutes. Then, use the quick release to get rid of any remaining pressure. Carefully remove the lid, stir, and serve hot.
Recipe Tips & Substitutions
- To make this recipe on the stovetop, sauté the garlic and onion in the oil for a few minutes in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the ground beef and use a spatula to break it up as it start to cook. Then, add the broth, sweet potatoes, pinto beans, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and cover the pot with a lid. Simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until the sweet potato chunks are fork tender. Serve hot.
- To make this recipe Whole30 or paleo friendly, just leave out the beans.
- To make this recipe vegetarian, use three cans of beans and leave out the meat.
I consider this a healthy recipe as it uses real, unprocessed ingredients and has a balanced mix of protein, complex carbs, and fat.
No, this recipe is not considered keto or low-carb because the sweet potatoes and beans add carbs.
Yes, just cut the recipe in half.
Other Easy Instant Pot Recipes You Might Like
- Instant Pot Chicken & Sweet Potato dinner
- Instant Pot Coconut Chicken
- Instant Pot Lentil Soup
- Instant Pot Turkey & Sweet Potato Chili
- Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Stew
You might also like our Instant Pot Sweet Potato and Beef Chili web story!
I hope you make this recipe! If you do, please leave a comment and a starred review below.Print
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 4 cups low-sodium beef or vegetable broth
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 15–ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Press the Sauté button on the Instant Pot and pour in the cooking oil. Let the oil heat up for a few minutes.
- Add the garlic and onion and let them cook for a couple of minutes so they start to soften.
- Add the ground beef and use a spatula or wooden spoon to break up the meat. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the broth, sweet potatoes, beans, tomato paste, chili powder, ground cumin, and salt.
- Lock on the lid and set the time to 8 minutes on high pressure.
- When the cooking time is complete, let the pressure come down naturally for about 5 minutes, and then use the quick-release to get rid of the remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove the lid, stir, and serve hot.
- This chili will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days, or frozen for up to 2 months..
- You can substitute the ground beef for ground chicken, turkey, or pork, if you prefer.
- You can use whatever type of canned beans that you like.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Instant Pot pressure cooker
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
Keywords: healthy chili recipe, sweet potato and beef chili, chili recipe for camping
Don’t forget to join the Clean Eating Kitchen newsletter. You’ll get my Clean Eating Quick Start Guide, plus links to all the latest recipes.