This recipe for Instant Pot easy mashed sweet potatoes literally takes 8 minutes under pressure, and you end up with a delicious dish that is perfect for an easy side dish. No endless stirring and mashing necessary!
Can you believe I’ve owned and given away a total of four pressure cookers before I finally got one that I actually use and like? To be honest, the one I have still scares me when it’s coming up to pressure, but I’m slowly getting the hang of it. Despite my fear of explosion, everything I’ve made so far recently in the pressure cooker has turned out amazing. I’m hooked and can’t wait to try more and more recipes in this new-to-me appliance.
The pressure cooker is my new favorite way to prepare healthy side dishes. For this recipe, I wanted a simple way to make mashed sweet potatoes. I started with five organic sweet potatoes.
I peeled and chopped them into 1-inch chunks:
Then, I just added 1 cup of water, plus some salt, cinnamon, and thyme. Feel free to use fresh or dried thyme. I had some fresh so that’s what I used.
I learned from watching YouTube videos that most recipes made in the pressure cooker need about 1 cup of liquid to cook. I also bought a paleo pressure cooking cookbook for guidance. I’m still experimenting, but this rule of thumb seems to be about right so far.
The last step is to lock on the lid, cook the potatoes on high for 8 minutes, and then to release the steam and add the ghee (use coconut butter to make this recipe dairy-free) and maple syrup. The potatoes will be soft enough that a strong spatula will mix them up enough to be silky-smooth and absolutely delicious!
Items recommended for this Instant Pot Sweet Potato Mash recipe (some affiliate links included):
- Instant Pot 6-quart pressure cooker or Power Pressure Cooker XL
- Paleo Cooking with your Instant Pot book
- organic dried thyme (buy in bulk for the best price)
- organic ceylon cinnamon (certified fair-trade)
- organic ghee from grass-fed cows or organic coconut butter, also called manna
Here’s my printable Pressure Cooker Sweet Potato recipe with nutrition information:Print
The easiest way to make sweet potatoes!
- 5 large sweet potatoes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (optional)
- 2 tablespoons ghee or coconut butter
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into approximately 1-inch chunks. Add the chunks to the bowl of a pressure cooker.
- Add the salt, thyme, and cinnamon to the sweet potatoes and toss to combine.
- Pour in the water and lock the lid on the pressure cooker.
- Cook the sweet potatoes on high pressure for 8 minutes and quick-release the pressure.
- Add the maple syrup and ghee or coconut butter to the potatoes and use a spatula to mix together. Mash the potatoes using the spatula and serve immediately.
- Refrigerate any leftovers and re-heat on the stovetop with about ¼ cup of almond milk to add extra creaminess.
You’ll need to add allow for an extra 10 minutes cooking time for the pressure cooker to come up to pressure.
Commonly asked questions about making Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes:
- Can I halve this mashed sweet potato recipe? Yes, but you might need to drain off about half the water once the cooking is done.
- Can I make this in the slow-cooker? Yes! You only need about half the water in that case.
- Don’t I need to use the tray insert to steam the potatoes? No, since this recipe is for mashed potatoes, the water will just get mixed into the final product.
Don’t miss a recipe! Join my weekly newsletter list to get all the latest news and recipe links delivered directly to your inbox.
Sign up now and unsubscribe at any time. I will never sell your name or spam you, I promise!